cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NWDI New DC/Project

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ppl,

I have a requirement in ESS. I need to create a new view/application. I have certain queries around it:

1. Can i create a new project directly under the ESS component in inactive DC's mode? That way, for a service pack upgrade, will there by any effect to my custom DC? Any other issue with this approach?

2. Any other way to create an application and then migrate that application into my portal?

3. How will i call my application from my iView? I mean the iView type eother application based, URL based or any other way. I meant for the iView type that needs to be created.

Please reply. Points will be rewarded for sure.

Thanks,

Santosh.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

pramod_gopisetty1
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Santosh,

1) You can create project directly but it is not feasible because once u upgrade the service pack it will delete the project you created. Rule out the first option.

2) The other option would be creating a new track and create the application in that track and deploy it to the Portal. is it a webdynpro for java or abap application or a Visual composer application?

3) if it is webdynpro for abap or java you can create iView for each in the iView template you will find webdynpro iview and you need to follow the instructions.

Hope this helps.

Cheers-

Pramod

Reward points if helpful.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pramod,

Thanks for your inputs. But i still have few issues.

Am working on WD Java. Am unclear in creating a new track. I mean, what shall my new trqack shall contain?

I already have a track created for ESS/MSS modification. Can you specify in detail how can i create a stand alone application through NWDI?

Also, just wanted to know, any modification on standard package in ESS/MSS, will it erase my custom changes whenever there is a service pack upgrade?

Thanks,

Santosh.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Santosh,

I don't think track matters here. As long as you create your DCs in your own name space instead of SAP name space ( sap.com) your DCs are okay.

or another safe option is, create a new product in client name sapce ( but not sap.com) and create your new DCs in this product.

I hope it helps.

Regards,

Uday.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Uday,

I've worked on NWDI arnd a year ago but not much. I remember i used to specify some name space(dropdown in create project) but i am not able to recollect what exactly it was as i used to deploy applications directly using SDM password.

Now i have no option else to use NWDI. And am not able to recollect what all i did once in NWDI.

Just wanted to know, for an existing track, what all i need to create a project in client's name space. Request you to specify in detail assuming that my knowledge on this part is nill.

Thanks,

Santosh.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Santosh,

Here is the procedure to create a new DC under the existing track. in NWDS, File -> New Development Component -> Select your software component, then wizard appears where you have to give your DC name, Vendor name, and select component type. Component type can be Webdynpro, Java, Web Services, EP etc.. You have to mention your own name space in Vendor field. Let us suppose say, your client is microsoft, then vendor name can be ms.com, some thing like that.

But if you want to do modifications to existing ESS/MSS content, check the below resources, these are very explanative.

Consider reward points if helpful

Regards,

Uday.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Uday & All,

Am sorry but am still confused. The question is where to create a DC/Webdynpro application as am already familiar with how to create a DC. I have an existing track for ESS/MSS Custom enhancements and I have the following opinions:

1. In SLD, create a workspace which is custom. I'll create a new DC in my track within this custom workspace (vendor as the custom workspace created), hope that solves.

2. Am not familiar with the idea of creating a new track (i already have an existing one) and then making custom application.

Please help. Am not able to where to create a custom application.

Thanks,

Santosh.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ppl,

Thanks for your help. Points rewarded.

For reference purpose the solution to create new DC's on NWDI can be achieved in following way:

1. Create a separate track for custom developments. The disadvantage here is there will be always overhead with basis whenever service packs will be applied.

If your custom development is for ESS/MSS, this approach would be defenitely overhead for administrators for creating and maninting the tracks AND it is not always possible becaue you would need have some DC's from ESS s/w component like ESS/PER and from SAPPCUI_GP s/w component dcs like PCUI_GP/xssutils and PCUI_GP/xssfpm. So you again need to import those s/w components into this track !!!! So if the development is for ESS or MSS there is no point in creating a NEW Track.

But if the Custom applicaiton are independent of ESS/MSS then it would become pretty straight forward and easy incase of upgrades as you can directly connect and deploy the SC's in the track after upgradation.

2. Create a new SC for custom modifications and add to my current track and in custom namespace. Not sure how it will impact my current track.

Recommend approach as it is almost same as step #1 (as far as upgrade is concerned) with out the overhead of creating a new track and you have all the dependent s/w components in the track already. In this case you will have separate SCA file which would be created at the end of assembly step and in case of upgradation you would have to import this SCA file into to new track along with the ESS/MSS SCA files. This will not affect the current track s/w components in any way as far as the development is concerned.

3. Create a new DC in ESS SC in different namespace/vendor. Direct DC creation in ESS in sap.com namespace will erase in upgrades. Not sure how this works in custom name space development.

You can do the things this way also, but when you updrade you would have to create all the DC's again in the new track of SAP ESS s/w component. You don't really need this approach unless you are not able to use some of the child DC's of the SAP ESS s/w component.

Thanks,

Santosh.