cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reduce the Production Log file size(.LDF)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Everybody,

We are using R/3 ECC 6.0 VERSION with SQL 2005 Database. For the past two days our Production Server Performance is very slow due to the size of Production Log file(.LDF) it crossed 17 GB. i want to reduce this Log file size. i dont know how. plz some one help me to do this job.otherwise this will become Serious Issue.

Points will be rewarded

Thanks

Siva

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

check Note 363018 - File management for SQL Server

also check

regards,

kaushal

Former Member
0 Kudos

hI kaushal,

The Information you have Provided is very usefull.

But all these Command has to be done in Query mode only. im not able to access my Query mode. why?

Thanks

Siva

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

I'm not able to access my Query mode

which way you used Query mode in MS SQL Server.?

start -> programs -> Microsoft SQL Server 2005 -> SQL Server Management Studio-> logon with windows authentication ( click on connect) -> then click on new query

regards,

kaushal

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi kaushal,

Yes. This is the way i tried it. but, as soon as i press New query, the total Sql Disappears. Again i have to go and statrt the connection....like that kaushal

Thanks,

SIva

clas_hortien
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

this is a know issue for IA64. See OSS note 1087510.

Or use the osql tool on the command prompt.

Or administer the server remotely from any other server.

Regards

Clas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The Note you have reffered me is exactly matches with my requirement. They have given that to uninstall the Update (some hot fix).[Use the "Software" service program in the system control to remove the security update]. After deinstallation i need to apply some hot fix for the server.

But how to uninstall it, since it has not be shown in the Control panel.

Plz guide me

Thanks,

Siva

clas_hortien
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

i know that the note matches, as i've written it ;-).

Which of the three mentioned updates are installed on your system ? If you can't see any updates, you have to check the option 'show updates' on top of the Software Service program.

Regards

Clas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Still i have the Same Problem after installing Hotfix in my Production server(as per the procedure given in the Note 1087510). what can be done.

Thanks,

Siva

Former Member
0 Kudos

How did you trace the slowness back to the log file? A 17 GB log file is on the small side for a Production system. I don't think a hotfix is going to fix your log growth.

Is the log on the same physical disk as your data files? Is it on a very slow hard drive or is the drive having an I/O problem? That is the only way it would impact performance to a noticable degree. A large or small log file will have no real effect on performance since it is just appended to and not read during writes, and in most production environments it is on a seperate disk or part of a SAN.

You can decrease its growth by increasing your log backup time. Do you back it up now? You can probably set your backup software to shrink the file when it finished backing up. You should consult your DBA team and ask for their advice, they can quickly point you in the right direction.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jeff,

when users started complaining about the performance, we saw the size of the Transaction Log file(ldf) th size was 17 GB. we thought this will be the reason for performance problem.

I tried to Shrink the Log size in Query mode in SQL. while doing that only, i found a problem which is related with Hot fix and all.

Now, it is been resolved and we have shrinked the file successfully to 600 MB from 17 GB

Even after this change, still my Production is slow. What else i have to check and how?

Thanks,

Siva

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Your problem for reducing Production log file size is solved,

close this forum thread, and open new thread for performance issue.

assign some points to user who helped you.

regards,

kaushal.