cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BI Career Advice

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

I am looking for some general BI-related career advice.

I am currently a BI report writer with minimal IT experience (I have only been using BI for one year). I am interested in pursuing a masters degree to gain the appropriate knowledge to further my career, working towards becoming a BI developer.

Can you suggest any graduate programs, SAP training, or literature? What steps should I take to get started? I don't know where to begin!

Thanks for your advice,

Kathryn

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am SAP, Germany certified consultant in BI 7.0 as well as MM (ECC 5.0).

SAP started with OLTP (online transaction processing) which is in other way known as R/3 System.

Till today most of the Tier-1 companies have laready implemented R/3 system. Most of the Tier-2 companies have already started implementing .

Because of price contraints and competions, Tier-3 and below companies are not very much attractive for top IT companies. Hence the quality of work and recognition will not be much in future in R/3 jobs.

In the year 2000, SAP has come up with Enterprise Data Warehousing which is now coupled with Planning to form Business Intelligence (BI).

BI essentially deals with OLAP (Online Analytical processing).

This means it deals with Analysis with Historical data most efficiently. As such strategies are adopted on the basis of this analysis.

To concise, R/3 system in SAP eliminates requirement of many junior staff in accounts, sales, purchase, stores,costing. Whereas BI has started eliminating requirement of many managers. When BI is implemented, CEO of a company can himself do a lot.

In many tier-1 companies BI still have to be implemented as they have started realising managers are too expensive.

For futuristic point of view learning more and getting certified by SAP in BI would be beneficial.

Regarding costs and tutorials on BI, please get in touch with SAP LABS immediately.

Regards,

Subha

If the above info is beneficial to you, please grant me points

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Subha,

Thanks for the information. Do you think it is worthwhile for me to go back to school for a masters of information technology degree? Would I have better job prospects with a masters degree (since I don't have a lot of "hands on" experience) and SAP certification?

Thanks!

Kathryn

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Masters degree in IT is not at all essential.

What you need is to attend tutorial and get a certification. Certification is done online by SAP, Germany.

If you are a certified BI consultant, company like IBM,Accenture, Cap Gemini, TCS,Satyam will give you offer immediately.

BI certified consultants are on bery much demand as explained earlier.

Please do at at the earliest.

Even I will be able to help you placing after the crtification.

Regards,

Subha

If the above info is useful, please grant me additional points

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Subha,

Thank you for your valuable advice. It is very much appreciated!

I will start researching how to get SAP certified in the US.

Full points assigned.

Thanks again,

Kathryn

Answers (0)