cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WAS Installation on three levels

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I have one question, I've never tried to install SAP R3 on three separate levels (one host for sapgui, one host for application and one host for database), I've always installed it on two levels (sapgui and appl+datab)

I think it's possible without problems but can someone of you give me your opinion??...

Thanks and regards.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

RichHeilman
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

Its absolutely possible, that's what R/3 standards for 3-tiered. Usually you have the database server box, multiple application server boxes, and of course a slue of presentation layer boxes(PCs). In my companies case, we run the database server and app server on the same box. But I'm told that its as easy as pointing the app servers to the database server. Its all transparent on the frontend.

Regards,

Rich Heilman

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your quick answer, I thought it was possible but I wasn´t sure at all.

Another question, could you change one already existing installation on two levels to three levels?? Is it possible to move the database to another host??

Thanks and regards.

RichHeilman
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

In our case, I would prefer to have 3 levels, but I'm just a developer and my input is not valued on the subject. Since the app and the db are on one box, we will probably keep that the same, but add some app servers outside that box. Probably windows servers. I am not sure what the technical issues are with move the db and leaving the app, or vice versa.

Regards,

Rich HEilman

Answers (0)