cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle Client for SAP NetWeaver 7

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am pretty new in this area and wondering whether a new installation of SAP NetWeaver 7.0 Central Instance on Linux needs Oracle RDBMS 10g Client from SAP or it can be obtained from Oracle (Instantclient)?

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Anjan,

the "Oracle RDBMS 10g Client from SAP" is the Oracle Instant Client.

For more information take a look at sapnote #819829

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Does it mean there is no need for any Oracle 10g RDBMS Client or related program from SAP -- Oracle Instantclient from Oracle is fine? Would SAP install ask for this component? If yes, what to respond since it's not from SAP? Sorry for asking these simple questions but as I am trying to understand it -- please bear with me. Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

You do need Oracle Client for NW 7.

After installing Oracle, you need to uncar OCL10264.SAR.

Edited by: Shaji Jacob on Mar 26, 2008 4:14 PM

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Anjan,

there is no technical difference in the software package between the oracle instant client and the "sap oracle instant client".

But you need the instant client which is published by sap, because of the installer of sap (sapinst) is requesting the package "oracle client 10.2" .. and in this case you need some info/control files (LABELS) which are only included in the sap oracle client install package.

There is no need to use the "original" oracle instant client...

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

In case I don't have OCL10264.SAR, can I fake it by using a dummy LABELS.ASC file and employing the Client from Oracle? Just curious. Thaks.

fidel_vales
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi,

The instantclient from Oracle and from SAP are the same (note, only the instantclient, 10g, no other previous oracle client version)

>

> In case I don't have OCL10264.SAR, can I fake it by using a dummy LABELS.ASC file and employing the Client from Oracle? Just curious. Thaks.

If you do not have the file OCL10264.SAR, then you can download the file from SAP, no need to download it from Oracle (why that need of downloading from Oracle?)

You can take a look at your installation CDs, the file is also located there. No need to download it from anywhere.

Recommendation, unless for an explicity reason (like a note indicating it or a message with the same indication) do not download/install anything that is not available in an SAP website

Former Member
0 Kudos

hmmmm fake...you can't .. you need them.

You can download from

https://websmp110.sap-ag.de/swcenter-3pmain

Database Patches -> Oracle -> Oracle other -> Oracle 32-Bit -> Oracle 10.2.0 32-Bit -> Oracle Instantclient ->10.2.0.2 -> NT_I386