cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Content Server connection problems

Former Member
0 Kudos

SAP Content Server connection problems

I have installed the SAP Content Server on a Windows 2003 server. I connected to the Max DB on the remote server from Database Manager on my PC. I created repositories in R/3 in OAC0 and CSADMIN and saved documents to the Content Server. This all took a few hours from O/S install to saving a document in the repository, so I do understand the basics of the Content Server and Max DB.

Unfortunately we are not going to use Windows; we will be running this on UNIX. Therefore I'm trying it out on a Linux system while I wait for the AIX system to be available. It's been a long road but I have finally gotten the install to finish 'successfully' however I can't connect from R/3.

When I run the check http://10.XXX.YYY.ZZZ:1090/ContentServer/ContentServer.dll?serverInfo from the browser on the Linux host I get back a good status as shown below:

serverType="SAP HTTP Content Server";serverVendorId="SAP AG";serverVersion="640";serverPatch="0";serverBuild="16";pVersion="0046";serverStatus="running";serverDate="2008-03-25";serverTime="22:39:45";startUpDate="2008-03-25";startUpTime="22:32:21";lastAccessDate="2008-03-25";lastAccessTime="22:38:33";

However when I do this from any my PC it won't connect. (Of course the real problem is I can't connect from R/3.)

If I try the same URL from a different user session on the same Content Server Linux host I get the same good status.

I thought maybe the httpd.conf file was wrong so I tried:

Listen 0.0.0.0:1090

In cs.conf I tried commenting out AdminSecurity & AdminSecurityGroup.

I also changed StorageDriver from SAPDBStorage to FSStorage.

I don't know if this is related or just another problem to tackle once I can get through this one. I was not able to add the new system to the Database Manager. I get the error "-4 could not connect to socket [10060]".

Thanks to all for any help. Points will dutifully be rewarded.

David

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Henk
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Dave,

It seems to me that you have issues connecting through several ports. When you can't even add the instance to the DBMGUI/DBMSTUDIO on your own PC, it looks like there's something like a firewall-issue. Is the Linux-server in the same network as the Windows 2003 server you mention? Is the /etc/services file on your Linux host configured correctly?

I would definitely advise to have someone from your networking team to have a look together with you. Since the results in de browser of the Linux host itself are okay, this isn't an SAP issue. The Content Server installation seems fine, it's up and running alright.

Anyway, changing from SAPDBStorage to FSStorage as StorageDriver isn't the best idea, since you've obviously chosen to use a database based Content Server, not a filesystem based one. This won't solve your problem.

Regards,

Henk.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Henk,

It looks like I am dumber than a rock. The firewall was indeed active on the Linux host. I turned it off and can now do the http connection test to the Content Server. (I awarded very helpful points.)

I still can't connect to the database with the Database Manager however the message has changed; it now says "-4 XSERVER might be inactive". I just turned off the firewall so I have a few things to try, like figure out how to start MaxDB without the DB Manager. I'll post my progress. Thanks Henk.

David

Edited by: Dave Hill on Mar 28, 2008 12:00 AM

Now I have installed the Database Studion on my PC. No I'm getting this message when I try to connect to the host/database on the Linux system: "Cannot connect to host 10.XXX.XXX.XXX:7210 [Connection refused: connect], -813."

Does MaxDB need to be started to connect? Any idea how to start it manually? Thanks,

David

Edited by: Dave Hill on Mar 28, 2008 1:06 AM

Ah, at long last. There's this tiny yet very important little program called x_server that SAP didn't include in the SAP Content Server install guide. This needs to be running in order for anything to connect. I'm sure most of you know about it but for the rest you can find it in:

/sapdb/programs/bin

Then type

./x_server start

I'm not sure what user it should run under but I started it as the sdb user.

You could automate the database startup with a script. See http://maxdb.sap.com/doc/7_7/e9/005dac1592496783e26133eb7fad0b/frameset.htm

Thank you Henk, I'll call this problem solved and award points.

Edited by: Dave Hill on Mar 28, 2008 2:10 AM

Answers (0)