cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Database dependent VS Database Independent System Copy using R3Load

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

we are upgrading ECC 6.0 from Win2003 32bit OS SQL 2000 to 64bit OS Win2003 SQL 2005

I have installed ECC 6.0 and SQL 2005, but now need to user R3load to extract from the 32bit Win2003 server so that I can import into ECC 6.0 64bit Win2003 server.

We are ABAP based system.

do I use database dependent or database independent system copy?

please advise?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

I have chosen to do a clean install that is why I am not using the attach detach method.

We are doing a side by side and new install of ECC 6.0 64bit, because we need to also uprade the OS from 32bit to 64bit and SQL 2000 to SQL 2005

having said that, I am using the export from32bit server and importing into ECC 6.0, and am wondering when doing the export/import what is the difference between db dependent and db independent when I ONLY need to do an ABAP export

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Maria,

Most of SAP tables are DB independent. But at least certain tables used by BW functions, likely starting with '/', and used for table/index statistics/history,etc are DB dependent. Special procedure has to be followed for BW tables to export/import between different DBMS. And tables for table/index statistics/history,etc will be omited.

Best regards,

Victor

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

We are only using FI/CO MM and do have RFC to BI 7.0 (separate server)

Having said that would we do db depend? or db indep export?

maria

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Maria,

Please follow the DB dependent procedure. No export needed.

Best regards,

Victor

antonio_voce
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Maria ,

I use database independent only for migration , so in your case more easy and quick is the database dependent procedure.

For SQL you can do detatch/attach procedure or backup/restore procedure.

please, please please read the oss note Note

960769 - Windows: Migration from 32-bit to 64-bit (x86_64)

In this note you will find ALL the answer to you question !!!

I hope this can solve your doubts .

Regards, Antonio Voce

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Check note 666805 and its related note 151603.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Maria,

Please refer to Note 799058 and other Notes.

You don't need R3load, either backup/restore or detach/attach would work from SQL 2000 to SQL 2005. And you may need to run STM depending on the situation.

Best regards,

Victor