Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PP/DS vs SNP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have the following question, I appreciate if you can help me with this:

Is possible to use PP/DS instead of using SNP?, Exists any restrictions?, Does PP/DS makes all the things that SNP does?.

Thank you,

MPCL

Edited by: Maria Paula Castro Lozano on Mar 25, 2008 8:50 AM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Depends on what the business requirements are, Supply Network Planning (SNP) plans supply throughout the

entire supply network to meet the forecasted demands.

It creates a rough production and distribution plan. The smallest time unit used for scheduling is days.

The bill of material (BOM) is exploded during creation of planned orders for inhouse production.

The capacity of the resources can be taken into consideration.

PP/DS goes down to the detailed level of planning and is closely linked to execution.

Simultaneous material and capacity requirements planning for in-house

production, external procurement, and stock transfers in a production plant at

operation level: Fast generation of feasible plans

Immediate and automatic planning (for example, to trigger production from the

plant) - close integration with plant

Planning with exact times, even for dependent requirements (for example, a

prerequisite for material staging by shift)

Dynamic exception messages in real-time and based on order linking (pegging)

across the whole supply chain

Multi-level capacity requirements planning possible: automatic, multi-level, bidirectional

propagation of order changes

Planning of alternative resources

Available capacity: time, volumn, length ...

Consideration of restrictions in planning (for example, supplier capacity)

Schedule optimization (order sequencing, lead time, etc.)

regards

Vinod

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

srinivas_krishnamoorthy
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

PP/DS does not do network based planning. It is at a factory level. It can very well do any term detailed level hourly planning at a given location. In situations where there is no requirement of doing source determination, make vs buy, multi-transportation modal planning or distribution planning in the network, I think PPDS can be directly applied on the DP output.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Agree with previous comments, however I think it is also possible to run PP cross plants, whereas DS is only on plant level or below. It would make sense for you to further descibe your business requirements to give more input. Key questions you should ask yourself are need pegging, capacity vs material contraints and the general level you are looking for. If you need pegging in SNP this is only supported with CTM as both heuristics and optimizer are working on buckets instead of orders which is a significant difference.