cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

install error: J2E already exists

Former Member
0 Kudos

I had to abort my first installation of the Java Sneak Preview, because my C: drive was running out of space. I am using a 2nd disk for the database. After carving out some more room on C:, I tried to cleanly and thoroughly wipe out all traces of the failed install before trying again. Unstalling MaxDB from Windows's Add/Remove Programs wouldn't work (I don't remember the exact error, but it was running the uninstall script with -all and reported it couldn't do this because I needed to get rid of an instance first ???). Since the database was on my removable 😧 drive, I finally got rid of it the old fashioned way: I reformatted the disk. I also deleted any trace of "J2E" I could find in the Windows XP registry. Nevertheless, my retry of the Sneak Preview install fails on a sapdb_db_create statement, with the root problem as reported in XCMDOUT.LOG that J2E already exists:

> Subprocess starts at 20051107193441

Execute Command : d:sapdbprogramspgmdbmcli.exe  -R d:sapdbj2edb db_create J2E CONTROL,CONTROL
 Execute Session Command : exit

> Subprocess stops at 20051107193441

ERR
 -24953,ERR_DBEXIST: database instance already exists

Since I literally wiped out the database, can anyone tell me where the installation is still detecting the existence of J2E? How can I get rid of all traces?

And since the initial problem I had was too little free disk space on my C: drive, and since I bought a second hard drive precisely to get around this problem, is it possible to direct not just MaxDB but the Was 6.40/J2EE Engine itself to my 😧 drive (it seemed to install on C:\usr\... without my having any choice in the matter)?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

roland_mallmann
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi,

the first problem you faced during uninstallation ('get rid of an instance first') meant that you had to manually drop the instance first (using the dbmcli command 'db_drop').

Apparently you now still have some remnants left of that very instance, or at least some Registry information of it.

Could you try the following commands from the commandline?

1. dbmcli db_enum

2. dbmcli inst_enum

Regards,

Roland

Former Member
0 Kudos

Roland,

OK, result of dbmcli db_enum is:

J2E d:\sapdb\j2e\db 7.5.0.18 fast offline

J2E d:\sapdb\j2e\db 7.5.0.18 quick offline

J2E d:\sapdb\j2e\db 7.5.0.18 slow offline

and the result of dbmcli inst_enum is:

OK

7.5.0.19 d:\sapdb\j2e\db

How, after I reformatted my d: drive, did the j2e instance manage to get restored, during the Sneak Preview install?! Anyhow, that's a question out of curiosity. But looks in any case like I have to follow your suggestion to drop the j2e instance. I'll need some help with that, as MacDB db management is Greek to me. I hacked around a little, for example tried this command:

dbmcli -d J2E db_drop

and got the error "DBM Server logon required." Could you give me precise instructions for dropping the instance? Much appreciated.

roland_mallmann
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi,

to drop the instance with dbmcli, you would need to logon using the designated DBM user and its password, normally both 'control', i.e.:

dbmcli -d J2E -u control,control db_drop

Regards,

Roland

Former Member
0 Kudos

Roland,

That worked: After dropping the instance, I was able to cleanly deinstall MaxDB and try the Sneak Preview installation from scratch. I've rewarded points accordingly.

However, I then ran into another problem perhaps you can help with. I will explain it here, but please let me know if you would like me to post it in a new thread, so you can potentially get separate points for this one :-).

So here's the new problem: The installation hung during the 22nd task, Load Java Database Content. I let it run about 12 hours, before giving up, clicking Log Off, and rebooting my laptop. In jload.java.log, there are entries for the first couple minutes after that task began, then nothing. So after rebooting my machine, I crossed my fingers and tried to recontinue the installation, but I get an error, the root cause of which seems to be that the database needs to be restarted?:

java version "1.4.2_10"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2_10-b03)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.2_10-b03, mixed mode)
Nov 9, 2005 12:29:51 PM com.sap.inst.jload.Jload main
INFO: Jload -sec J2E,jdbc/pool/J2E,C:usrsapJ2ESYSglobal/security/data/SecStore.properties,C:usrsapJ2ESYSglobal/security/data/SecStore.key -dataDir D:/SP/NW04SneakPrevJavaSP11/NW04SneakPrevJavaSP11/NWSneakPreviewSP11/SAP_NetWeaver_04_SR_1_Installation_Master_DVD__ID__51030843IM01_NT_I386....SneakPreviewContentJDMP -job C:Program Filessapinst_instdirNW04SR1WEBAS_COPYONE_HOST/IMPORT.XML -log C:Program Filessapinst_instdirNW04SR1WEBAS_COPYONE_HOST/jload.log
Nov 9, 2005 12:29:52 PM com.sap.inst.jload.Jload main
SEVERE: couldn't connect to DB
com.sap.dbtech.jdbc.exceptions.JDBCDriverException: SAP DBTech JDBC: Cannot connect to jdbc:sapdb://IBM-GIBBONS/J2E [Restart required].

Any idea why the 'load database content' task hung? (By the way, I have 1 GB of RAM - should be enough?) And should I manually restart the database and try to continue? If so, how do I manually restart the database from the command line?

(Again, let me know if I should repost this in a new thread. Thanks in advance.)

roland_mallmann
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi,

no need for a new thread, I don't care about the points.

You also probably had the situation that your Log volume was filled 100% during the load.

Please check your (<drive>:\sapdb\data\wrk\<SID>\)knldiag and/or knldiag.err file for LOGFULL messages.

In order to free up log, you need to make a Log backup. Prior to your first Log backup, you need to have made a Data backup.

So, if you haven't done any of the above previously, you would need to:

1. define backupmedia for both Log and Data backups

2. perform a data backup using the data backupmedium created in step 1

3. perform a log backup using the log backupmedium created in step 1

Afterwards, you could also create an Autolog backupmedium and switch on the Autologging feature, it would save the log automatically from filling to that degree.

All done conveniently using the Database Manager GUI.

You can download and install it from:

http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/maxdb/7.6.00.html#DBMGUI

Regards,

Roland

Former Member
0 Kudos

Roland,

Thanks again for your help, but still no success :-(. I didn't find any evidence of LOGFULL, but carried out your suggestions about backing up db and log and turning on autolog. Here is my current status:

(1) Having had to manually abort my very first installation attempt because of a low disk space problem on my C: drive, I have found out it very difficult to deinstall and clean out all traces of that installation. That led to many failed continuations/retrys, though I learned things along the way.

(2) Last evening () I finally managed to start another install from scratch with a completely clean system. Everything ran error-free up to the 'Load Java Database Content' task. That task was flying for about 2 minutes and then, just as in one my previous passes, it seemed to suddenly just hang, and 8 hours later it's still sitting there stuck. I checked again for a LOGFULL condition and didn't find one (there are no errors reported in knldiag.err), but again I backed up the db and log and turned on autologging (without stopping the install process). I don't know what all the db and SAPinst log files are and how to interpret them. The jload.java.log file shows dbimport entries for about two minutes into this task (8 hrs ago) and then stops; last entry is CAR_RT_TYPSCO loaded.

Again, I have 1GB of RAM (the maximum my Thinkpad T30 can have), which I understand should be sufficient, if barely, to do the install - and run the system, should I ever get to that point! Do you have any more suggestions? any logs I should check out? anything whatsoever?! For now, unfortunately, I need to abort the install once again, since I need my CPU cycles for some real work I have to do

Tired, beaten down, but not yet dead,

Randy G

roland_mallmann
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Randy,

can you take a look into the knldiag file (not the .err variety) and look for a line with 'current' in it? Please look a bit above the line containing 'current' to see which kind of warnings/errors might be there.

Regards,

Roland

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi there.

The line above 'current' has the entry "SERVERDB 'J2E' has stopped'. But that is misleading. The knldiag log's first entry is timestamped 23:14:02 (PM). It then stalled at 1:17:22 (AM). The entry at 1:17:22 is Label SAVPOINT, Message-Text 'B20SVP_COMPLETED: 9'. The next entry after that is timestamped 7:57:51 (AM), which is when I connected to the database from the DBM. I finally took the db offline and stopped the install at 8:54:29, which I'm sure produced the 'J2E has stopped' entry. So it seems the real question is why did it stop dead in its tracks at 1:17:22 AM, neither aborting nor going anywhere?

My instinct is that it's a memory and/or cache problem. Would it help if I sent you the knldiag log?

In any case, thanks for persisting with me.

Randy G

roland_mallmann
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi,

sure, you can send me the knldiag file, please also send the knldiag.err file. Please both compress them before sending.

Regards,

Roland

roland_mallmann
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Randy,

I received your email with the knldiag files. I don't seen any reasons for the 'crash' or 'offline situation' of your instance.

The current status (according to knldiag) is ADMIN (i.e. yellow in the Database Manager GUI).

You could try to put the database into mode ONLINE, either using the Database Manager GUI, or from the commandline:

dbmcli -d <DB-SID> -u <dbm-user>,<dbm-pwd> db_online

(normally:

dbmcli -d <DB-SID> -u control,control db_online

Afterwards (if the DB's online), try the load again.

Regards,

Roland

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi roland, and anyone else following this gripping thriller of a thread!

after some delay because of a real-world job i unfortunately have , i wanted to close the thread by letting you know the outcome. i did try putting the database online (i'm getting really good at that!) and resuming the install. but again, the resumed install runs the deploy for a while and then halts. the log said it had disconnected from the database.

so in the end, i just had to give up. i have an older version of the Sneak Preview on DVD, handed out at the 2004 TechEd, and that did install successfully. smaller footprint, less memory required, ... ? - don't know why one works, the other didn't. for now, it meets my purposes. i hope to get a new laptop with at least 2 GB of RAM next year, at which time i will again try the then current version of the Sneak Preview. but thanks for all your help, and i really did learn some things along the way.

randy g

Former Member
0 Kudos

FWIW, I run the 6.40 Sneak Preview on a 1.5GB laptop, so with 2GB, I'd think you were in fat city.

Also FWIW, I remember one time when I was trying to install an earlier version (6.10?), I couldn't get it to go at all, until I went into the registry and removed every single thing that referenced SAPDB and/or the SID (I can't remember what it was - might have been "WAS"?). All this was after I had removed SAPDB, all the services, etc. Once I did that, the install went ok. Oh, yeah - I had to run a registry clean, too, to get stuff I missed when I was doing it manually. A real pain in the butt.

Good luck - I know how frustrating it can be, and do sympathize.

Answers (0)