cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I generate automatic inspection lots every 15th day

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

My client receives chemicals (Raw Mat) every day. Incoming inspn is done only for physical spec and Usage deciison is taken on same day itself.

As he is getting raw mat from good vendors, he usally do chemical analysis every 15th day.

Whats the best way for me to map this process of generating inspection lot on every 15 day. initial incoming lot we cant use as he already taken UD on that.

15 day chemical analysis dont have any impact on qty posting as Raw mat usally will be consumed.

Is there anything other than manual lot. I welcome all ideas.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member42744
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This is very standard SAP using the DMR.

You set up a DMR. On the skip lot stage you can define the maximum number of days to allow skips. So you you define one inspection. Then a skip stage of 999 inspections. But on the skip stage define the maximum number of days as 15. This means, that on the 15th day, it will reset back to the first stage again and require an inspection.

Craig

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

My plan is to ask client to create manual lot once for this raw material and in master data I will assign inspection task list with Free Inspection points (Usage Manual Inspection 89). So I think in a year he can record (2 X 12 months) 24 results i.e. 24 inspection points to that manual lot. And he can rethink on creating another manual lot next year if he requires. Are you seeing any implications with this solution.

1.Follow up action,will result in creation of unnecessary lots.

2.Creation of equipment will be an additional activity as I have to maintain task list for incoming inspection. I appreciate that suggestion but I have to create additional master data.

former_member42744
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1. Manual lot will work fine. But this totally relies on the business to know the 15th day. And you still have to create the inspection plan and set up the material master data. You also have additonal config set up for the IP identifiers.

2. Calibration: Yes.. you have added requirement to create the maintainance schedule. If your setting up an inspection plan for the manual inspection anyway, your not really saving any time there. Even if you already have the plan, you can create the new plan via copy from template. You can probably create the plan in a shorter time then I can write this reply. The benefit is that it can be set up to run for many, many years. All the data is a one time setup. It's static and wouldn't change. Small investment of time. It MIGHT take a half-day to set it all up. And I think some of the benefits around the calibration charts and trending might be very valuable.

Craig

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am really sorry as my question is not clearly understood. Lets first forget about incoming inspection, coz its all over by UD taken per physical inspections.

Chemical inspections are indepentent activity done on every 15 day. Sample is taken from mixture of same material lots which are received during the last 15 days.

Other than DMR is any other way to generate inspection lots on every 15 day for that material automatically.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You may think of using "Inspection Ponits" in Inspection plan.

Regards

K.M.Arun

former_member42744
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In this case your looking at a pooled sample of the approx. 15 batches of material that were received in. Correct?

If you are batch managed, then no. Since the sample is a composite sample, you can't link it to anything else really and you don't have a batch number to enter into the inspection lot upon creation. First, you'd have to create a dummy batch to hold the results. Which you could do maybe by date if your system allows external batch numbering.

Then you could at least manually create the inspection lot.

The is no true "event" to trigger the creation of the inspection lot as there is when you do a GR. The only why you could trick the system would be if your were willing to maintain a separate storage location, and do a stock posting to it of the sample quantity each day. Then you could have an inspection plan that would create a skip lot each day. On the 15th day it would become required. You would probably utilize a copy of movement type 411 for this and use that custom one to make the moves.

The problem with this is then you'll have to write off that little bit of material at some point for accounting purposes.

Another option.. you could create dummy batch and set a 15 day inspection interval on it. Use deadline mointoring to create the lot one day in advance of expiration.

One more option: Use standard calibration inspection to set up a calibration program.. I.e. recalibate every 15 days.

Craig

Edited by: Craig Snyder on Mar 25, 2008 1:08 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Will recurring inspection help me anyway here?

Raw material using here is Silica sand no batch management for that. Always it will have 15 to 20 truck loads mixed up in raw material yard. From raw material yard on 15th day they will take samples from top of heap, middle of heap and bottom of heap and mix it and do chemical analysis. Whats the ideal way we can do it?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In the Ud code for your Incomming inspection lot, set the followup action as per your requiorement that will generate lot for you.

Regards,

Shyamal

former_member42744
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You must be batch managed to use recurring inspection. So no, that won't work.

The follow-up action suggested might work but again, you don't inspect anything on the other days so you probably don't have inspection lots then.

Define an equipment master called "Silica Heap". Set up a calibration schedule for it to be inspected every 15 days. I think that's the best way you can do what you want. You'll even be able to get real nice calibration charts out of it!

Craig

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I dont have a good answer for you.

You may think of applying suitable Dynamic modification rule at the inspection characteristic level.

You may apply DMR to the Insp char's related to the Chemical analysis.

Other option may be defining them as Long term characteristics.

Regards

K.M.Arun