Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding a column to a table

former_member1326872
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can I add a new column to a custim table (Z table)? Please let me know whether it is possible to add a new column to an existing table with data also loaded in it. This custom table is already in use in many programs.

Please let me know other alternatives if this is not possible...

Thanks..

Swetha.

8 REPLIES 8

Clemenss
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Swetha,

no problem. You can add or insert fields using transaction SE11 or SE12. Possibly you will get activation warnings that require you to go (from SE11(SE12) to database utility and transform the table. When transported, this happens automatically.

Any new fields shoukd be added with the 'initial value' box flagged. Other wise the database will create NULL values that are hard to select for: It must be IS NULL if used in a WHERE clause.

Regards,

Clemens

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Swetha,

You can add a new field to a ztable no issue in that ,but be careful with the table maintenance generator. After adding the new field delete the old maintenance view and create a new once , else your new field wont be visible in the maintenance view.

Regards,

Viveks

adnanmaqbool
Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes you can add no problem.

But if you also have created a view screen using SE54 then to update that screen you have to regenerate it to also update the new column there on screen.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can add a column to the z table which contains data. Once you add a column, save and activate it. Go to database utility (SE14) click on activate and adjust database button.

Thanks,

Sriram Ponna.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

There is no problem in adding a column in a table.

Just go to SE11. Open the table in change mode.

Add the row as you do for other rows.

Activate the table..

And most important thing. Go to technical settings.

Delelte them and redo them and save them..

If you dont do this, changes will not be reflected in the table.

Thanks and regards

Palak Behal

0 Kudos

Hi,

1. Please tell me whether I can add a new field to the table, even when the table already has some data? Should I delete the data before adding the new field?

2. And if the 'Maintenance allowed' check box is not checked, what is that mean and if so, how should I add data to the table?

Thanks

Swetha.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You need not to delete the entries in the table to add additional field. follow the below steps which may help you...

1) add the new field in table

2) Save table

3) Utilities --> Database Object --> Database Utility -->

4) Click on the Activate and Adjust Database

5) it will take few minutes to activate the table.....dont worry....

Your work will be done without any trouble....

Dont forgot to Reward me points .....

All the very best....

Regards,

Sreenivasa sarma K.

Edited by: sharmashree kashi on Mar 26, 2008 7:53 AM

0 Kudos

Hi Sreenivasa,

Thanks a lot for the information.

Can you please provide me some information on my second question as well..

Thanks,

Swetha.