Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ECL Viewer - Redlining in PDF

christoph_hopf
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi

I have another issue this time it is with Redlining using ECL Viewer. We are using Seal Systems conversion servers to automatically convert Word documents to neutral file formats at Review status (one of the status in our DIR status network).

We use the neutral file format to do our redlining. Once we are done with redlining we ask the user to incorporate the changes. So user moves it back to previous status and once he finishes changes he brings it back to Review status. At this time conversion servers kick in and automatically convert the existing original document to pdf neutral file format. But in this process it looses our redlines. We want to keep our redlines. So is there a way that we can keep our redlines and not loose them when we run automatic conversion? Please let me know if there is a way to retrieve these redlines back.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Regards,

Sreepati Hari

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi guys,

Correct we i'm wrong here - but here some thoughts.

The redline is stored as an additonal file for the original, in whatever format that is used.

Ask the guys at Seal to keep the extra layer when converting and add that in as well. With some programming, this should be doable.

espen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As per my view it is not possible.

1) The redlining will be a layer above the original PDF file and more over it will not disturb the original PDF or the original file.

2) Whenever you are doing an conversion process, the PDF file will be generated based on the original file and not based on the neutral (PDF) file.

3) The newly created file will overwrite the existing file. so you will lose the redlines and you will have the newly generated file only.

I suggest to go for content revision on that particular status to that you can have the copy of both the old file and new file. This helps you to compare the old and new file created after the changes.

Regards,

MRK

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks MRK and Christoph,

Content versioning definetly helps through the process but while comparing I am not able to pull up markup layers of old file. Is it ECL Viewer problem or the version which I am using?

I have Adobe 7.0 on my machine and I have SAP Viewer 6.0. I am not able to see layers marked on previous original when I am using compare feature of ECL Viewer. Is there some setting that needs to be done to get layers of older pdf?

Thanks

Regards

Sreepati Hari