cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hierarchy and Version - SAP MDM Limitation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is SAP MDM supports following?

1) Ability to manage effective dated hierarchies?

2) Ability to store versions for master data, dimension and hierarchies?

What are the known SAP MDM Limitations?

Rohit

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Rohit,

1) Ability to manage effective dated hierarchies?

If you mean complete hierarchy as dated, then its possible.

if its only part of hierarchy, then slight tuff and needs consideration.

2) Ability to store versions for master data, dimension and hierarchies?

Yes, Version is possible, depends on designing.

What are the known SAP MDM Limitations?

being working on SAP MDM; I will say none

Every MDM product is evolving with time.

Hope this helps,

+ An

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your input. Can you please elaborate more on 'Yes, Version is possible, depends on designing." What design can address this?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rohit,

By Versions - if you mean that if a record is getting updated, MDM should store the old as well as the new record.

Then, according to me, inside MDM you will not be able to maintain different versions in MDM. MDM will have the latest values in all records. And if any record has been updated then the it will replace the old record.

At max, you can view Logs and also enable Change Tracking so that you can track any changes done in MDM.

I hope it helps.

Thanks and Regards

Nitin jain

Former Member
0 Kudos

I was trying version control information for MDM but didn't find.

Nitin - it implies that MDM will not be able to perform roll-back or roll-forward hierarchy changes through multiple generations of master data content as no previous version of data stored.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rohit,

As I have already mentioned, MDM can only have the latest Version of the record.

Roll Back is a feature in MDM which reverses the changes done to the record, but to the extent that you want to use it, I do not think it will be that useful.

Thanks and Regards

Nitin Jain

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rohit,

Thanks for your input. Can you please elaborate more on 'Yes, Version is possible, depends on designing." What design can address this?

Well, since there is no standard way of versioning.

If you wanna have versions for only fields, then make a qualified table and according to changed dates, you can have version for that also.

For hierarchy, you make hierarchy and attach to only 1 main table field.

So whenever there is change in hierarchy, you can bring in complete hierachy again and this will be version hierarchy as per date. We did this for maintaining master hierarchy in MDM.

Hope this helps,

+ An

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi An,

I have quite a similar question. I'm trying to syndicate out only the hierarchy. Not only the record in the hierarchy-table, but also the structure of the hierarchy itself. Do you know if this is possible and if so, how?

Thanks,

Gerwin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gerwin,

Syndication of hierarchy structure is quite possible, Please use the Hierarchy sytle option in Destination Item in syndicator. example, for 10 level hierarchy, put the Number of Levels in pathname from Root as 10.

However most of the times I miss the questions which have many replies. If this is not your requirement, will appreciate new question.

+ An

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nitin

can u pls elaborate the rollback feature of MDM? steps involved and applicability.

thanxs in advance

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

Roll Back in MDM is a feature wherein you are making some changes to the records in MDM but you have the facility to either make these changes as permanment or rll back the changes.

This feature is in MDM data manager in the record mode.

Rt clik->records->checkout.

Checkout records will create a tempory version of the records wherein the autorized person can make the changes and these changes will not be reflected untill the person checksin the records.

Once he checks in the records then the changse will be visible to all the users or else he has the option to ROLLBACK the records so the chnages will not be applicable.

Hope it helped

Kindly reward points if found useful

Thanks Simona

Answers (0)