Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User Acceptance Client role setting

JaneLa
Participant
0 Kudos

What are the pros and cons of setting the User Acceptance Test client role parameter to P (Production) rather than T (Test). I thought that it should be set to P to mirror the settings for the Production client. Note: settings found in T000 Table

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you set the client role to Production, then it will be counted as a productive client for licensing purposes by SAP. That could have a financial impact. Also, I think you are only supposed to have one productive client per installation number, though I don't know if this is an actual technical limitation.

You are correct that as a Test client there are a few things which will behave differently than in a Production client, but these are mostly immaterial for user acceptance testing purposes. For the vast majority of business functions, there will be no difference.

So, I would advise setting the client role to Test. Do set it to 'not modifiable,' however, so that changes are forced to be made via the transport system, the same as production, and thus generally keeping the configuration in better sync with Production.

--m

2 REPLIES 2

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you set the client role to Production, then it will be counted as a productive client for licensing purposes by SAP. That could have a financial impact. Also, I think you are only supposed to have one productive client per installation number, though I don't know if this is an actual technical limitation.

You are correct that as a Test client there are a few things which will behave differently than in a Production client, but these are mostly immaterial for user acceptance testing purposes. For the vast majority of business functions, there will be no difference.

So, I would advise setting the client role to Test. Do set it to 'not modifiable,' however, so that changes are forced to be made via the transport system, the same as production, and thus generally keeping the configuration in better sync with Production.

--m

0 Kudos

Thank you, Matt for the very complete answer. I really appreciated it!