Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing role's long text via ECATT script

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am writing an ECATT script to change the long text of a role. When I try to add my parameter values, I don't see a field for the role's long text (description tab). We have approximately 80 roles to update and due to our system landscape, we have to replicate in the development landscape (there are two dev and QA instances).

Is it possible to create an ECATT script to change the long text of a role or does SAP treat a long text field differently from other fields?

I've been able to successfully create and execute a script to change the role's short description and thought it would be relatively simply to update the long description, but it doesn't appear to be the case.

Any advice is appreciated (such as other ways to accomplish this).

8 REPLIES 8

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Julie

I agree - have just recreated the error you are getting here, and- it is not recognising the fact that I have entered text into the text field (long Text) on the description tab.

For info, each line of text on that free text space is saved to a line in the table AGR_TEXTS. 0 = the Role Description (or short text) and 1,2,3, ~ x = each line in this text box.

An abap program to update that table directly could be created.

Depending on how you want to change all of these roles, if you are adding the same text to a good number of them, you could experiment with recording the "upload file" option in ecatt.

But this really depends on what detail you are trying to add to the role.

Maybe give a bit more detail about the purpose of the update to the roles' long text, and others may be able to help you solve it

All the best,

Andy

0 Kudos

option to think about, during recroding make sure you change the contents of the field, when i record in PFCG i always get that field as a variable

0 Kudos

Thanks for both of your replies. My co-worker was able to find a standard ABAP (BAPI or functionn module? not sure) program to update the content and he'll create a transaction to call the program.

We have an input file template that we'll use, which is essentially the content of table AGR_TEXTS which we will modify in Excel and then upload this file when the program is executed.

0 Kudos

Hi Julie,

can you please specify the function module.

Thanks.

0 Kudos

Hi Julie,

Could you please provide us with the template you have.

I'm trying to do the same within our system, and I have no idea how to do it.

Could you please explain more ?

Thank you

0 Kudos

hello,

I am still not able find solution on how to update long text as we have many roles, could any one help here on how to create Ecatt Script or LSMW

0 Kudos

Hi All,

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/a0e0ebec-c9da-2910-689e-b1a22a62...

Above URL has very similar step by step information to achieve PFCG Role Description Update using SECATT.

Regards

Habib

0 Kudos

This message was moderated.