cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help for Disaster Recovery setup and configuration

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus.

We are planning to have disaster recovery test plan. Normally we setup our network at another site and then restore data there and then do configuration and setup to run SAP system to new network.

But this is little more time consuming. We are planning to do something which will might save our time.

We want to create one Application instance on Central instance on current production server. This instance will be "deactivated" and will not run on production server.

When we will do the disaster recovery, we will restore CI filesystem to Disaster recovery network. That time this new application instance will aslo get copied. Once this is done, we just need to go to this instance and start SAP System. This way we will save our time of configuring the new instance and then starting it.

e.g

-

Production host -> prdhost1

Central Instance -> /usr/sap/P01/DVEBMGS00

and it's subdirectory: data, work, log, sec

create new application instance -> /usr/sap/P01/D03

and it's subdirectory: data, work, log, sec

create new instance profile -> P01_D03_prdhost1, START_D03_prdhost1

this configuration will be created but SAP instance will not be started. It will be copied to Disaster Recovery new site and in that new network , there we can start this new application instance.

Please let me know if we can do that ? if yes, are we going to face any issue in production?

Other than mentioned above, what FileSystem we need to take care for creating new instance?

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Best Regards,

Basis CK

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

Sorry but your scenario is a little bit confusing.

Let me guess if I understood, you want to configure a "virtual" instance to be able to use it in case of DR.

I don't advise you to do things that way. Why not use virtual hosts and virtual instances like we do when implementing instances within a cluster or metrocluster.

You must have the license from DR server installed. I you use virtual hosts all DR issues like printers, logon groups, RFC groups, etc... will be solved.

If you use virtual hosts and virtual instances all you need to do is replicate the environment into DR site, restore the system and start production.

Of course... you are using UNIX and within UNIX world all these things are much easier.

Bear in mind that if you have JAVA instances then I think this is the only recommended procedure.

Cheers,

FF

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

can someone plz help me with my above query. I hope I am clear and provided all the information. If you need any help, please let me know.

Thanks & Regards,

Basis CK.