cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

invalid or unknown NLS parameter value specifiedBR0310E Connect to database

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all ,

While installing Db instance (4.7 e,HPIA64-oracle), in database update stati.

got error like

"WARNING 2008-03-19 01:36:25

Execution of the command "/sapmnt/C2P/exe/brconnect -u / -c -f crsyn -o SAPC2P" finished with return code 3. Output: BR0801I BRCONNECT 6.40 (11)BR0280I BRCONNECT time stamp: 2008-03-19 01.36.25BR0301E SQL error -12705 at location db_connect-2ORA-12705: invalid or unknown NLS parameter value specifiedBR0310E Connect to database instance C2P failed

ERROR 2008-03-19 01:36:25

CJS-00288 Could not update database statistics.<br>DIAGNOSIS: Command brconnect -u / -c -f crsyn -o SAPC2P returned 3.<br>SOLUTION: See brconnect.log for details.

Brconnect.log shows like

R0801I BRCONNECT 6.40 (11)

BR0280I BRCONNECT time stamp: 2008-03-19 01.36.25

BR0301E SQL error -12705 at location db_connect-2

ORA-12705: invalid or unknown NLS parameter value specified

BR0310E Connect to database instance C2P failed

BR0280I BRCONNECT time stamp: 2008-03-19 01.36.25

BR0804I BRCONNECT terminated with errors

How resolve this issue.

Regards,

satish kumar

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi. Check the ORA_NLS33 and NLS_LANG env. for <SID>adm user and .dbenv_<hostname>.sh.

Regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi thanks for reply,

i change the env value, but same problem,

but i want update one thing in /oracle/C2P/

i found two folders 92x_64 ans 92x_64-save

what is the correct path, what env values are should be

Regards,

satish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi. you need to chek ORA_NLS33 = $ORACLE_HOME/ocommon/nls/admin/data both users "sid"adm and ora"sid".

Make sure that the new variables are set permanently in the profiles of the users <sapsid>adm and ora<sapsid>. Edit the files .dbenv_<host>.sh and .dbenv_<host>.csh in the home directories of <sapsid>adm and ora<sapsid> with any editor. A change of the profiles will only become effective after you log on again.

Also read the note 592657. I'm dont know the 92x_64-old folder , you need to use 92x_64. Also chek the authorizations and owners for this directory.

Regards.

Edited by: Sergo Beradze on Mar 22, 2008 2:23 PM

fidel_vales
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi,

a better explanation (and solution) than the provided is to install properly the required oracle client in the server.

Setting the ORA_NLS33 to the mentioned by Sergo could or could not help depending on the oracle client installed, or the softlinks created (if we talk about the database server)

If you follow the indications on the SAP note [539922 Installing the ORACLE client software 9.2.X for UNIX|http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/539922] then the oracle client is installed on

> /oracle/client/92x_64

Environment variables for <sid>adm will point to the correspondent directories there and not to $ORACLE_HOME

Recommendation then, read the mentioned note and 521230 FAQ: Client software 9i or earlier on UNIX

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Fidel. As of note Note 602843 - Environment settings for R/3/Oracle on UNIX. -->

• ORA_NLS33

o Specifies the path for the Oracle NLS files that contain code page information for Oracle >= 8.x

o Must always be set to $ORACLE_HOME/ocommon/nls/admin/data for ora<sid>.

o For <sid>adm, see the recommendations made during the installation of the client software (Note 180430 and subnotes referenced there).

In note 180430 -->

ORACLE Rel. as of 8.1.5 (for example <db_rel> = 815_32)

(DB) ORA_NLS33 $ORACLE_HOME/ocommon/nls/admin/data

(AP) ORA_NLS33 /oracle/<ocl_rel>/ocommon/nls/admin/data

regards.

fidel_vales
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Sergo,

those notes are a bit outdated, that is the reason I indicate to read the FAQ.

If you read it carefully you will realize of several things:

1) the oracle client to be used depends on the SAP kernel version

2) the way the oracle client is "linked" with the kernel depends also on the version.

You can take a look at the powerpoint attached to the note.

For the sake of simplification I'll go from kernel 4.6D (and forgot the exceptions)

Kernel 4.6D was linked against oracle client 8.0

The ORA_NLS33 has to point to the NLS files of that version. But oracle made something easier.

Oracle NLS files for version 8.1 are also compatible with 8.0.

This means that, even when the client was 8.0, you could use NLS files of 8.1.7 without any error (the one is refered in this thread)

Another thing is that the oracle client library was included on the SAP kernel, it was statically linked, SAP only needed the NLS files.

This changed a little with newer kernels.

What happens with Kernel 6.20?

SAP does not includes the client inside the KERNEL, now the oracle library is dinamically linked. By default the kernel looks for it on the /oracle/client/81x_64/lib (assumming here 64 bit)

ORA_NLS33 can point to the oracle client or the oracle home, again we have compatibility.

But, then oracle start doing "funny" things with oracle 9i.

SAP kernel 6.40 is dynamically linked against this oracle client version. Now the search directory is /oracle/client/92x_64. But NLS files are not backwards compatible (later on Oracle provided information about a couple of environment variables to be able to use 9i nls files with 8x client)

it is more, nls files are not even compatible between oracle 9i versions.

For that reason, it could be that you have installed in your oracle home, lets say 9.2.0.7 and your ORA_NLS33 pointing to the oacle home.

But SAP kernel is using (if your environmet variables are OK) the library on the /oracle/client/92x_64 and you get the error ORA-12705 even when you think everything is OK.

Again, my recommendation is to follow the proper note.

If you are using a kernel that uses the client 9.2 then you have to configure the environment variables as the correspondent note for that client (539922 Installing the ORACLE client software 9.2.X for UNIX t) or other note that could complement it (like installing several clients on one server)

Hope the explanation is clear.

Note. This is only valid for UNIX, in windows it is a different history.

fidel_vales
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

>

> Hi Fidel. As of note Note 602843 - Environment settings for R/3/Oracle on UNIX. -->

> * ORA_NLS33

Hi,

read the note in detail, specialy the bold:

> This note aims to provide a general overview and explanation of environment variables that are required in the R/3 and Oracle environment. Due to the high release and platform dependency of individual variables, the focus of this note is on explaining the meaning of the variables and on referring you to additional notes. Unfortunately, it is not possible to specify the generally correct environment.

>

> In note 180430 -->

> ORACLE Rel. as of 8.1.5 (for example <db_rel> = 815_32)

> (DB) ORA_NLS33 $ORACLE_HOME/ocommon/nls/admin/data

> (AP) ORA_NLS33 /oracle/<ocl_rel>/ocommon/nls/admin/data

>

> regards.

And also note 180430. the title is "Installing the ORACLE client software for UNIX" and it says:

Kernel Version of the Target Rel Note

4.0B COM 374755

<= 4.6A, except 4.0B COM 200626

4.6B 180430 (this note)

4.6C, 4.6D 303238

4.6D_EXT 539922 (see also 156548)

6.10 406140

6.20 406140

6.20 Unicode 539922

6.40 539922

You are pointing to the recomendations for 4.6B, a different kernel than the one here, using different oracle client than the one mentioned here and different environment varibales.

The oracle client is complicated on the SAP environment (UNIX) but, i think if the notes are read properly then it is not so difficult.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm chek the servers in our landscape who worked with 9.2 oracle, you are right the sidadm env has

ORA_NLS33=/oracle/client/92x_64/ocommon/nls/admin/data.

In any case at ORA"SID" must be --> $ORACLE_HOME/ocommon/nls/admin/data.

Regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Login as SIDADM,

Run R3trans -x..

Check what is the output. If the output is 0012

then type more trans.log

Check error and paste the log in the forum.

Regards,

Suhas