cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP System upgrade and Single client

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

Currently we are having mySAP ERP 2004 with ECC 5.0 and in the system it has 2 production clients 300 and 310, two separate companies own by our parent company.

This year we are planning to do project to bring those 2 clients to single client as well as SAP system upgrade to move ECC 6.0,

In our System in has 3 systems, Development, Quality and Production and each of system we have several clients (development, sand box etc.)

With your knowledge please guide us the best way to do this works, I mean when come to single client is there any best practices, etc.

Also as we plan do we need to do the system upgrade after bring each client to single client?

I know this is not easy task and need to have expertise knowledge, but I know with you it’ll make easy us to decide the project plan.

We really appreciate your guidance in this matter.

Best Regards.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

First perform client "integration" than the upgrade.

This will simplify the upgrade process (testing etc.)

Concerning client integration :

As clients are in SAP idependent business units , this is in fact data migration project.

In this case I advise migrate data from smaller/less important client to "bigger" client.This will reduce amount of work required for data migration.

Another option : create new system and migrate to this new client/system data from both systems.

all depends of business requirements and application configuration - migration strategy is in this case task of applications consultants - not BASIS admin.

Anyhow - you must leave migrated client operational (read only) because very often it is not possible to migrate historical data.

regards,

Wojtek

reward points if helpful

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all,

Wojtek thanks for quick responnse,yes

As BASIS new person i want to know how do we need to plan this process, as i say a best way to do this task,Please give more details.

Regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Such a project has several responsibilities:

1. Application consultants check config/data and decide how to perform integration/migtation basing on business requirements and BUDGET AVAILABLE.

2. ABAP developers create required programs/adjustments

3. Last : BASIS consultant based on Application consultants decision prepares environment and performs upgrade if required.

So as BASIS you do not have to choose the strategy, because you are not aware application and business implications of client integration/migration.

There are many business decisions concerning :

-deciding about historidal data availability/migration

-resolving potential application configuration conflicts

-deciding about application configuration extensions or reductions

and so on....

Regards,

Wojtek

Answers (0)