cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing short text of a Product and Location Charac in DP

srinivas_krishnamoorthy
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In DP we typically assign a location char and product char in POS, to make sure DP understands what the product and the location are. WE need to change the short text of Product Char and make it look different from the long text in the DP planning book selection hitlist. We found that unlike other characteristics(which are not assigned as location or product in POS), the product and location char descriptions are picked up from APO master data tables (instead of BW tables where you can set up different short and long texts). Since APO master data tables (/sapapo/matkey or /sapapo/loc) carry only one kind of description, all the different description related fields in hitlist(namely short, medium and long descriptions) in DP appear the same way. How is it possible to create different texts for short and long descriptions for DP product or location characteristic ?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

It is not possible. I tried it once and had no success.

Please mark your question as answered and reward me points immediately.

Thank you!

srinivas_krishnamoorthy
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Harish - what you mention was tried already and we found the specific Product and Location characteristics assigned to POS behaves differently from other characteristics. (The truncation logic can be avoided for characteristics not assigned as Location and Product in POS) I did a trace (ST05) as well and the data dictionary tables called are apparently generated on activating the POS. THere is no way to influence how those DD tables get created that are eventually used to populate the fields in Hitlist section of planning book. There is a great resistance to modify SAP code directly for this, and hence we have still not arrived at a solution.

Christian - I appreciate your reply and confirming the behaviour, however find it difficult to accept this strange product behaviour. I would want to keep this thread open to be able to post a solution (if we get there) or wait for someone to post a possible solution. I was actually hoping someone would tell me that this was a 4.1 behaviour and not a 5.0 one. I guess this is not the case then.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

somnath_manna
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Srinivas,

I remember coming across this same problem earlier without any direct solution.

That is why the DP Location / Product characteristic is ZLOC / ZPROD.

Then we can define in RSA1 separate Master Data tables and influence different description values.

And in the MPOS map these Z characteristic to Location and Product.

If you find any solution / ideas please share. Would be interested to know.

Somnath

srinivas_krishnamoorthy
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Appreciate your reply. We are using Z characteristics for Location and Product. We tried activating the short description field, but looks like the short description is just a truncated form of long description. This behaviour only happens for the Product and Location char assigned to POS.

Former Member
0 Kudos

did you check the characterisitic in RSD1

there is a master data / text table tab where you specifiy what data is to be maintained in the

usually you would put in a text table there say /BI0/TMATERIAL ans specify what is going to be maintained in that table

You then get that table populated. If you hve the check flag for med, short and long text and get the table populated with a different Med text, Short text and Long text you will get different desctiptions.

But usually we set just one (medium text) - which cant take 40 char

this gets truncated to 20 char for short text

Long text is 60 char long but will take the same length of Med text if not maintained independently