cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Defining Business Objects in ES-Builder

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I tried to create a business object definition with the Enterprise Service Builder (CE 7.1 with local SLD; Selected ES-Builder Profile: "unrestricted").

I selected "create object" -> "Interface Objects" -> "Business Object". But the "Business Object"-Option is deactivated and I get the followoing warning:

Software component version does not support this object type

"Agent" and "Process-Component" are not selectable too.

I configured the Software Component in SLD and imported it to the ES-Builder. How do I have to configure my software component (version) to create a business object-definition?

Regards

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Christian

Can you explain me the use case as to why you want to create a business object? The reason I am asking is because the term Business Object is used in two connotations within the ESR - One as part of the Integrated Modeling environment and the other as part of the Enterprise Services Repository.

In the current release of ESR, the second option is not available for external use. In other words, you can create Business objects as part of the Integrated model to represent your overall scenario. However, it is not possible right now to create an ESR object of type Business Object. If you want to do so, I would like to know the exact use case for the same.

As regards to objects like Agents, since CE supports only direct P2P communication, we don't support these objects in the ESR scenario. However, you can definitely change the Usage profile (what you select when you login to the ESR) to Process Integration, which will enable you to create these objects in the ESR.

regards

Rathish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Rathish,

thanks for your reply.

At the moment I am evaluating the usage of the ESR. There are 3 Steps I want to perform:

First I want to model my environment. That step I have done by modelling my process-components with service-interfaces, operations, and a business-object for each process-component.

Secondly I created specifications in ESR for my service-interfaces and operations and connected them to the corresponding model objects.

Thirdly I imported the specifications from ESR into my NWDS to implement them.

Since I can connect my service-interface-specification in ESR to the corresponding service-interface in my model, I question myself why can't I do the same thing with business-objects (specify them and connect them to the model object)? Doesn't it make any sense? You wrote that specifying business-objects is not available for external use. Is there a specific reason? Also, it would be nice to import a business object-specification from ESR into NWDS. Unlike "service-interface model"->"service-interface specification"->"service-interface implementation" are connected together from model to implementation, there is a gap between "business-object model" and "business object implementation".

regards,

Christian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Christian

I agree with you - there is a disconnect with respect to the Business Object Model as opposed to what we have currently with the Service Interfaces.

However to answer the immediate question, to achieve the use case you mentioned it is not necessary to create a business object implementation to achieve the same. It can be done with the Service Interfaces.

But back to the basic question of Business objects, the Business Model implementation is necessary when you want to develop Stateful services, where in addition to the APIs (realized as service interfaces), there are objects in the backend that maintain the state of the system. For now, what is available externally is only development of Stateless services - explains why stateful pattern is disabled while designing Service Interfaces, and why Business Objects cannot be created.

Best regards

Rathish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Rathish,

Ok, I get your point.

So, last questions:

Than you plan to support stateful-webservices and business-object-specifications in ES-Builder for future releases? Can you tell when?

regards,

christian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Christian

AFAIK, there are no confirmed dates / plan for this particular feature to be released.

Will keep you posted.

regards

Rathish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for your answers!

best regards,

christian

Answers (0)