cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Content of SAP SQL Database and backup

Former Member
0 Kudos

1. The SAP database / data files store in the folder “<SID>DATA” with extension mdf, what does it store? Does it content the structure of the database only or inclusive of the daily entry of the SAP data?

2. Will it be sufficient to backup the SAP SQL Database with the SQL database ONLINE for recovery purpose in case of server crash?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> 1. The SAP database / data files store in the folder &#147;<SID>DATA&#148; with extension mdf, what does it store? Does it content the structure of the database only or inclusive of the daily entry of the SAP data?

It contains all -the struture and the data.

> 2. Will it be sufficient to backup the SAP SQL Database with the SQL database ONLINE for recovery purpose in case of server crash?

Yes.

I highly suggest you get a book on SQL Server - or a course - or read some online documentation on the microsoft website.

Markus

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Markus,

Thank you for your response.

I would like to clarify further that other than the database is required to be backup, any other SAP related system file that require to be include in the backup file occasionally, like during daily or weekly backup?

Apart from this, do you happen to know where can I obtain the documentation which can assist me to do hardware sizing for SAP systems?

Regards,

Alvin

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Markus,

Thank you for your response.

I would like to clarify further that other than the database is required to be backup, any other SAP related system file that require to be include in the backup file occasionally, like during daily or weekly backup?

Yes - the instance directory and the Windows OS including the registry

Apart from this, do you happen to know where can I obtain the documentation which can assist me to do hardware sizing for SAP systems?

Usually it´s done the following way:

- the customer creates a project under http://service.sap.com/quicksizer

- the hardware partner takes this project and offers a machine that fits

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Markus,

Thank you for responding to my q.

Related to backing up the database instance directory, I won't be able to perform the backup when SQL Server is running as the database instance files are in use.

I need to shutdown the SQL Server if I need to backup the database instance folders.

I would like to clarify with you on the following scenario. I perform a monthly cold backup (which means that the SQL Server has been shutdown) on the servers, including the database instance folders. Subsequently, I perform a daily hot backup (which means that the SQL Server is running) on the database instance, Windows registry and Windows Shadow component.

Base on the scenario, will I be expecting any unforeseen issue during the restore time?

Regards,

Alvin