cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XI verses xMII

Former Member
0 Kudos

What is the difference and similarity between XI and xMII ?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

In terms of integration, both XI and xMII can perform data transformations via XSLT and their own proprietary mapping. XI has BPEL-compatible workflow whereas xMII uses its proprietary workflow format made up of transactions and actions. xMII also has out-of-the-box dashboarding capabilities which are simple, yet powerful and its machine integration features.

In terms of system architecture, XI is primary intended to be deployed at the data center whereas xMII is intended to be deployed at the plant.

When we deploy Visiprise Manufacturing, we tell customers that we prefer that it be deployed with a single instance of xMII at the plant (or region if you have a fast, dedicated network) and if they want to use XI, it can be deployed with the ERP at the data center. Of course, there are always exceptions to these guidelines, but that's the general idea.

-tim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Tim and Vamsi for the valuable points.

Is there any online available which can through some more lights on the topic ?

sufw
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Peeru,

a good starting point is to read up on some basic concepts. XI (now called PI for Process Integration) is an EAI (Enterprise Application Integration) tool, and also performs the functions of a Message-Oriented Middleware (MOM). Google/Wikipedia searches on these terms are likely to give you some good pointers.

SDN is probably the best resource though - both XI and xMII have their own forums and wiki pages. In the case of XI, there are a number of very comprehensive blogs with lots of links which give you a detailed overview of what XI is and can do. This is all available from the XI wiki.

I know this has some overlap to what has been said already, but from my perspective, and from working with both tools, I can state the following:

- xMII is primarily used to build cross-application dashboards and real-time data visualisations/reporting, but also offers some fairly decent integration (i.e. application to application) capabilities. It does however lack XI's sophisticated integration capabilities around guaranteed delivery, which would have to be built from scratch in xMII, and some of the connectors used for integration with other middleware tools (such as the JMS adapter in XI)

- XI is a pure A2A middlware tool; no end user would ever log on to XI or directly access any of its features. All XI is designed to do is connect different systems by performing mappings between the interface formats provided/exposed by these systems, and implement process logic and some cross-system process orchestration using its ccBPM tools based on ABAP workflow.

Hope this helps,

Sascha

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

HariCS23
Contributor
0 Kudos

HI Indrani,

Similarity and differences :

xMII has XI in it.

xi does not have any intellignece ( Front end ) part like displaying charts,grids using templates.

xMII is a bought over product from lighthammer ,XI was designed by SAP ( i beleive ).

xMII 12.0 runs on Netweaver WAS Java instance ( dual instance not required ) where as xi need ABAP instace too.( i beleive ).

xMII objects are lightweight objects ,i dont know about XI.

In XMII , Ideally we can supposed to talk to different vendor MES's easily using UDS .

Thats all there on top my mind. Any comments acceptable.

Thanks

Hari