Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle 10g Problem

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I have query regarding the Tablespace Layout and the generic patches

1. Whether all OS and Database related Interim patches and generic to be applied conditionally. whether it is ok that we can fix the error thro the bug fix of the inetri or the generic patch.

2. We have the Database tablespace layout as Dictionary ( our system is in SAP 4.7 and database 9.2.0.6 ) Managed Tablespaces and Segment Management is in Manual mode and the Allocation is in USER for Dictionary and SYSTEM for LOCAL. While upgrade from Oracle 9i to Oracle 10g whether it converts these factors or nothing will happen. If nothing happened then whether it will affect the SAP functions.

I have this question since we have done oracle upgrade from 9i to 10.2. i have not applied generic patches but applied all interim patches. while referring to the Storage Management in that most of them are in Dictionary Managed tablespaces even after oracle upgrade. what will be the consequences regarding this Layout. whether it will give error or any future corruption will take place. Moreover the temp tablespace should be converted from Dict to LMTS but it does not happen. what will happen the DMTS does not changed to LMTS whether will effect database.

please guide

regards

suri

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (9)

Answers (9)

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can start SAP and then run brconnect. Just be aware that response time in SAP may be very slow until the statistics are collected.

When you mention CPU are you talking about applying the Oracle 10g patches? They can (obviously) not be done before the upgrade as they are Oracle 10 patches!!!

fidel_vales
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi David,

I agree with the first, I do not agree with the second:

>

> When you mention CPU are you talking about applying the Oracle 10g patches? They can (obviously) not be done before the upgrade as they are Oracle 10 patches!!!

If that would be true, how it is possible that there are 10g patches to be installed to avoid problems in/during the upgrade?

While SAP is up and running with 9i, the oracle 10g software is installed, then you install the patch set (currently 10.2.0.2) - note: only software installation, not the postinstall steps or so - then you install ALL the required patches.

All that is done while your SAP system is up and running with oracle 9i.

Once all the 10g software is installed (including patches, including CPU) then you perform the upgrade.

Another note. IMHO, in is not worthy to install the CPU in 10.2.0.2

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Another note. IMHO, in is not worthy to install the CPU in 10.2.0.2

Yes - full ack - and as given in note 1140644 - CPU patches January 2008 (Oracle Critical Update Program)

<...>

We recommend that ALL SAP customers import the CPU patch only if it is absolutely necessary.

Risks:

The main risk when you install the CPU is that, as soon as SAP provides a new patch, this patch could clash with the CPU (it may not clash). If a clash occurs, you must decide between the CPU and the new patch.

<...>

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi

I think u r all confuded with the basis support packeage whether b4 or sfter upgrade. i have already applied the patch and more than that in this thread there was a quey about the patch is basis or ABAP and b4 upgrade or not so i have mentioned it. so leave the point : BASIS PATCH ( which is not important). As per exepctation only two issues and moreover i want to run the brconnect after sap is up and the CPU before upgrade which will minimize my downtime. please guide

regd

suri

fidel_vales
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

>

>As per exepctation only two issues and moreover i want to run the brconnect after sap is up and the CPU before upgrade hich will minimize my downtime. please guide

>

> regd

> suri

Hi,

Thanks for the clarification.

my 2 cents

Regarding CPU, my answer still is the same.

- Install it ONLY if really needed. You must check with which patches it conflict and if if prefer the CPU or those patches.

- You can install it BEFORE, ther eis no problem doing it.

Regarding the statistics calculation, I'm afraid you must do it AFTER.

The reason is that in oracle 10g all tables will have the monitoring attribute activate set and it would be necessary the statistics calculation to "level up" the monitoring.

Also you have some 10g specific statistics calulations (system stats, fixed tables ...)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Suri,

I am also upgrading our Oracle 9i to Oracle 10g. I think you can improve the update statistics if you read on Oracle document "Oracle® Database Upgrade Guide 10g Release 2 (10.2) B14238-01" . It is on section "Issues Requiring Further Analysis Prior to Upgrading". Pls find below an excerpt from the document:

Optimizer Statistics

When upgrading to Oracle Database 10g, optimizer statistics are collected for

dictionary tables that lack statistics. This statistics collection can be time consuming for

databases with a large number of dictionary tables, but statistics gathering only occurs

for those tables that lack statistics or are significantly changed during the upgrade.

To decrease the amount of downtime incurred when collecting statistics, you can

collect statistics prior to performing the actual database upgrade.

As of Oracle

Database 10g Release 10.1, Oracle recommends that you use the DBMS_

STATS.GATHER_DICTIONARY_STATS procedure to gather these statistics. For

example, you can enter the following:

EXEC DBMS_STATS.GATHER_DICTIONARY_STATS:

If you are using Release 9.0.1 or 9.2.0, then you should use the DBMS_STATS.GATHER_

SCHEMA_STATS procedure to gather statistics. To do this, you can run the scripts

provided in Appendix C.

As to whether or not to apply the CPU, please read on OSS Note 830576, it will provide you a script which you can run via ABAP program RSORADJV and will guide you which Oracle parameters you need to set. I run this after I upgraded our Dev machine to Oracle 10G. Per my understanding of the OSS Note, you may need to apply the CPUJAN2008 merge fix prior to upgrade. Please pay particular attention on the part regarding EVENTS that need to be set.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Jun

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi

As per the upgrade they refer tomaintain the BAsis support package SAPKB62044

and the CPU to be in done at post upgradation process please refer the Oracle Upgrade 10g Release 2 document dated 21.02.2007. but i am asking whether to do the CPU before upgrade or as per the guide since i want to reduce the downtime

regds

suri

fidel_vales
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm looking at the guide. Support package SAPKB62044 is mentioned in the point "3.5 Checking the SAP System Prerequisites" not on the post upgrade steps.

Definitive, you can install this before the upgrade.

Regarding "5.6 Installing Oracle Critical Patch Updates"

Any oracle patch can and should be installed before the upgrade itself.

Note regarding the CPUs.

In general and up to now (march 2008) in 10g CPUs usually conflict with some of the patches mentioned on the note 871096.

Latest CPU is from January (note 1140644) and it mentions this issue:

As mentioned above, the CPU patch is a pure fix for security-related

areas. Unfortunately, the CPU patch has become very large and very

complex over time due to conflicts with other patches.

The CPU patch for January 2008 contains all patches that were known and

released in November 2007.

When you install the CPU patch, you will be informed that this patch is

part of the CPU (# are included in the patch currently being installed

(6646850). If you continue, they will be rolled back and the new patch

(6646850) will be installed ...).

For the following patches, the system will issue a conflict message

("Conflict patches: xxx") if these patches have been installed in your

system:

6771608 - See Note 1135589

6729801 - See Note 978464

6663258 - See Note 985118

6522082 - See Note 1033315

6488148 - See Note 981875

6455795 - See Note 1002062

5737613 - See Note 1107700

5581518 - See Note 1025537

These patches are mainly new versions of merge patches that were create

or released after the CPU patch and are, therefore, not included in thi

CPU patch.

We recommend that ALL SAP customers import the CPU patch only if it is

absolutely necessary.

Risks:

The main risk when you install the CPU is that, as soon as SAP provides

a new patch, this patch could clash with the CPU (it may not clash). If

a clash occurs, you must decide between the CPU and the new patch.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes both the activities are to be done after the upgrade as your DB version has changed from 9i to10g.

If you want to reduce time on brconnect you can execute it with more parallel processes.

And as the CPU's are for 10.2.0.2 you will have to do it once the upgrade to 10g is completed.

As Basis support package, SAPKB62044 is required before we execute the Oracle Upgrade. But if you donot want to apply the Basis support pack then you have the alternative to apply the remedy as per the SAPNote 868681, which asks you to apply a correction.

If your SAP BASIS system is 6XX then you have to apply the transport contained within ORAREL6XX.SAR.

I hope all your queries are answered.

Regards,

Suhas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

yes i can understand what u say. but my question is that i want to apply critical patch before dbua nd after after dbua dn setting the parameters up and then starting the4 sap services and then running the brconect command. whether this will effect or give any problem by doing like this way. the ultimate is to reduce the downtime

and the secondly it is Basis patch not abap batch

pls give me suggestion

regards

suri

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

basis patch? you mean Basis support pack or SAP kernel update?

applying critical patches requires downtime, you should apply them BEFORE converting the database.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I have installed the Oracle 10g. I need few clarifications from the upgrade guide.

Steps Which i have followed.

1.Updated the dboraslib.so

2.Upgraed the Abap Patch level.

3. AUM migration

4.checked for Invalid Objects

5.installing the 10g software

6. installing the patchset ( without post installtion steps)

7. installing interim patches

8.changing the ora files.

9. DBUA ( upgrading the database)

10.checking the post installion through few query steps

10.updating the Br*tools 7.00 version

11.Performing the Post pgrade tasks.

12. brconnect -u / -f stats -t all -f collect -p 4

13.CPU

14.Permanently setting the env varibles and running the SAP

These steps i have followed and then upgrade was succes. Now i am going to in imp production system where downtime is very limited i have few queries regarding the above steps.

Upto step 8 there is no necessity of shutting down the SAP and Oracle services after that from Step 9 to Step 14 it takes atleast 6 to 8 hrs as per the server capability.

My question in these steps whether i can brconnect ( which takes atleast 2 hrs ) and CPU ( which also takes 2 hrs) can be done before starting the upgrade of the database ( using dbua). since i can reduce the downtime. or if there any relation in these performing this heavy task after the upgrade. even in the last upgradtion i have done the brconnect after post installtion and starting the sap and oracle services nothinh happenedn

could anyone explain me the importance

and moreover i want to know the importance updating the dboraslib.so updating before the upgrade or after the upgrade. when i read some docs i was littleconfused..

please explain in me indetail

regards

suri

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You can do the PREPARE of the upgrade using Oracle 9, but you MUST upgrade your database before the actual upgrade.

Markus

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

you should do step 1 AFTER the Oracle upgrade. This is oracle version dependant, so, updating them before the upgrade does not make sense.

about step 2, what do you mean by ABAP patch?

- ABAP support pack?

- SAP kernel?

anyway in both cases, do this after the Oracle upgrade.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

thanks

i am satisfied with LMTS concept.

In that temp tbs is in still DMTS is it ok

Regards

suri

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

this is OK and supported, but converting PSAPTEMP to locally managed is a simple process.consider converting it.

for steps, read SAP Note 659946 - FAQ: Temporary tablespaces

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi

1) you should implement all (incl generic) patches listed in note 871096, except platform specifc patches for other platfrom and some optional patches where the critera does not fit.

Be aware that some patches need post-actions! (read all listed notes)

2) Tabelspaces are not converted automatically. To convert a TS to LMTS and/or ASSM you have to make a complete TS-reorg (brtools).

DTMS-->LTMS: see note 214995

ASSM: see note 620803

It is not neccessary to convert the TS, it is only recommended to get the benefits (see notes) from it. So you can keep this in mind for future reorgs,migrations, etc..

SAP will work normal without problems regarding this TS' options.

lg

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I suggest stepping through Note 871096 - Oracle Database 10g: Patch sets/patches for 10.2.0 and apply the patches that are listed there (OS specific as well as generic). This will help in getting your parameters in sync with note 830576 - Parameter recommendations for Oracle 10g. Some of those parameters imply a certain (interim-)patch applied.

For DMTS vs. LTMS check note 214995 - Oracle locally-managed tablespaces in the SAP environment, it describes the pros and cons if you use the one or the other.

Markus

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Suri,

if you upgrade from 9i to 10g no DMT -> LMT convertion is made.

Oracle 10g also support DMTS - so no conversion is needed.

>> what will happen the DMTS does not changed to LMTS whether will effect database

You will still have contention on ddic tables / need recursive space management / rollback generated and so on for segment management.

You can not use some features like ASSM and so on.

If you want to convert your temp or other tablespace to LMTs you have to do it by yourself.

Regards

Stefan