cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQVI create query access in Prod

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can anybody elaborate on what could be some of the consequences of allowing Developers to create queries in Production ?

Also, I know that this question is more of a Security issue, but I do not want to open up another thread for it. Should Developers have access to SQVI in Prod to run queries so that they can troubleshoot issues.

I dont mind giving them access to run queries that allows display only to certain tables. But they want create access as well.

I have given them a couple of reasons why they cannot have this access but I need to know more to make my point.

Thank you.

Kunal

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kunal,

Create acess for queries in production technically speaking shouldn't cause any issues at the object level but from security audit perspective it is not advisable.

Regards.

Ruchit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Ruchit.

A few more questions.

Is it normal for IT people to have SQVI ? Also, is it advisable to run queries in Prod since it can chew up all the resources.

I am worried about giving this access to everyone in the IT team and then we find out that the System has slowed down because queries are being run unnecessarily.

Thanks,

Kunal

Edited by: Kunal Belnekar on Mar 14, 2008 9:36 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kunal,

In production people actually should not have access to create queries. They should be created in development and then transported.

As far running queries in production is concerned in certain cases queries are good since they might save effort in writing reports. As long as their well written performance issues shouldd not occur.

Regards.

Ruchit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Ruchit. Your answer acts as a proof for what I have been stating. I'm just worried that if people start creating queries in Prod directly, some day it could result in a big problem. It is also an audit issue according to me.

Any query that needs to be run, has to be tested and made sure that helps save time and effort.

Thanks,

Kunal

Answers (0)