cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MDM Questions

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

When would be the possible case when duplicate master data would be created in system or in cross systems?

It has been found that very less companies face problems with master data and hence they are skeptical to buy MDM.Please let me know the answer to this question.

Regards,

Priti

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Priti,

Duplicate Master record Creation is possible and it it occurs in most IT landscapes.

Bank:

Banking area is one main area where duplicate Master records are created.for eg:A single customer can have multiple accounts with the same bank in different branches by entering different names,like Simona Edward Pinto and Simona Pinto.The bank has no means to track that this is one and the same customer.

Company:

While maintaining a Customer Master record.for eg: Walmart,Walmart inc,Walmart ltd will be maintained as different customers even though they are one and the same,this will again allow the craetion of duplicate records.

In the similar fashion we can have duplicates created in my systems and so we need a tool like MDM to take care of the accuracy and completeness of master data and give a single version of truth.So that proper analysis can be done on the data.

Hope it helped

Thanks & Regards

Simona Pinto

Former Member
0 Kudos

In real time scenarios there is no restriction how many systems are in landscape to be integrated. it may happen that a user is using two mobiles one of provider say X and 2nd of provider Y and in same company two different servers are maintaining his records 1 with X and 2nd with Y phone numbers. now when we integrate these or say take data from these then in actual they are duplicate records and we can maintain his record by taking phone no field as multi-input.

BR,

Alok

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Priti,

Yes this is true, however Please read my these 2 blogs and may be from others also to understand why we need MDM.

when duplicate master data would be created in system or in cross systems?

[SAP Network Blog: We are Customer Master Data|https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/8170] [original link is broken] [original link is broken] [original link is broken];

[SAP Network Blog: The Globalized World requires MDM|https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/8081] [original link is broken] [original link is broken] [original link is broken];

It has been found that very less companies face problems with master data and hence they are skeptical to buy MDM.Please let me know the answer to this question.

Master data management is not new and almost every Organization is ‘trying’ to manage it with their experience and knowledge with the help on inbuilt systems and tools. I deliberately included ‘trying’ cause its not the right approach. The Organizations are trying to solve the symptoms of master data problems but not able to solve root cause problem.

The good thing is that industry has recognized this problem and coming up with a tool to manage this. This technology is currently evolving and with their experience and knowledge with several Organizations, they will be able to deliver a product which will solve master data management problems of organizations.

SAP has solution for these problems with their MDM tool which is part of Netweaver stack tool. With the help of SAP MDM, organization will be able to achieve and establish ‘single version of truth’ of their master data.

Hope this helps,

+ An

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi An,

I went through your blogs "We are Customer Master Data"

-

Your blog :

when I changed my address in my saving account, I thought the bank will automatically change my credit card and trading account address as well. I guess everyone will agree on this. However this was not the case as my bank told me that I have to change address of everything separately. So I have a problem here that has to change everything separately and also miss out some important notices. Similarly bank has problem that it might loose some postal costs and bills. Now I had a valid reason to freak out at bank.

All this is because of small reason that my bank doesn’t maintain single version of customer master data.

-

My query is bank must have valid reason that they are maintaining separate master records for one customer for eg

savings account,credit card etc.I am trying to figure out the answer because when they developed banking software all these queries would have come to their mind.They why would they create separate master records for one customer.

If you can throw some light on this would be helpful.

Regards,

Priti

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Priti,

Yes you are right, they must have thought abt it and I also thought abt it before writing . They have valid reason to maintain separate servers due to nature of business and functionality of bank account, credit card, demat is separate.

Since they create separate servers, they enter separate master data in respective systems.

However to maintain the constant master data, one needs cross system communication or a separate MDM system like SAP -MDM. Since they dont have this mechanism, thus the problem and need for MDM.

If there is something else from Banks, I would also be interested in knowing that exclusive reason.

Hope it will help,

+ An

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi An,

Now I got the answer why they are maintaining separate master records for one customer.

That means they don't have facility for central master data management.....and syndication...agreed!

But why would they go for SAP NetWeaver MDM and not any

third party software...

Actually we say that if MDM is not in place it would disrupt business,cost money and negatively affect customer service.

But I think here companies are hesitant to buy SAP MDM.

I think they feel installing MDM would costs them more money.

They should get the correct answer to this query, so that they are happy to buy this product.

Regards,

Priti

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Priti,

But why would they go for SAP NetWeaver MDM and not any

third party software...

Its definitely possible, and even MDM is not new. The only thing is that now there is a tool for that. Earlier and even now companies are managing master data in their own ways. This was case in my projects even

Actually we say that if MDM is not in place it would disrupt business,cost money and negatively affect customer service.

But I think here companies are hesitant to buy SAP MDM.

I think they feel installing MDM would costs them more money.

They should get the correct answer to this query, so that they are happy to buy this product.

So its our responsibility to tell them the business impact, make right business case so that they buy MDM. Like in our Bank example, I was very happy to change my bank for only this reason since I can not change my address 4 times because of them, and I was one of the premium customer for them.

Hope this helps,

+ An

If you satisfied, please close the question.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi !

Thanks for your answer.

Regards,

Priti

rajesh_chavan
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Priti,

First We need to understand that MDM solution is not only to remove duplicates...there are many more Data Quality related issues we can address by implementing MDM...These problems are faced by all types of industries, Impact varies depending on the sector or size of master data.

I think, the impact of this problems faced by companies are intangible, Generally it obstruct the transactions or quality of process but do not cause breakdown of Business.

I think companies are skeptical not because only capabilities of tool. Their short term approach with MDM is not cost justified but I am sure if you think about ROI (Returns of investment) point of view , this will play a vital role to increase the bottom line of business.

Please reward if this helps

cheers,

RC