cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unix or Windows platform for large configuration

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I’m working on a scoping phase for a new SAP project. Targeted SAP users will be between 3000 and 4000.

Like every time “the” standard discussion is opened: which platform to use?

I would like to go above the classic point of view: UNIX for large system and Windows for small system.

So I’m looking for success stories with large system running on Windows plateform.

Thank you for your feedback.

Alain

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

From my experience, there is no performance difference between Windows and Unix if you use equivalent hardware.

The supposed Windows stability problem is mainly a "cultural" difference.

If your Windows admins use the production Windows servers like Gameboys and install the last shareware to play, yes, Windows xill be unstable.

If you manage it professionnaly, Windows 2003 will be very stable.

Unix admins tend to be more "serious".

So it depends from the culture from your company.

We have a production R/3 system on Windows 2003 64 bit itanium MSCS cluster + 5 app servers (win 2000 32 bits) with not a lot of interactive users (something like 100 simultaneous users) but the service calls load is massive.

We have 200 000 RFC calls and 30 000 web services calls per day.

At peak time, it can be up to 60 calls per second.

This system is critical for my company's business and we chose Windows...

Regards,

Olivier

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Allain,

I prefer to agree with Olivier, these days Windows is pretty stable and the license cost of windows is (i think) lesser than windows.

Operating costs are less too , since it requires less skilled people to operate/administer.

And as Olivier said, if you don't install any crappy sharewares on the Server, it works like a charm.

With the NTFS filesystems Windows filesystem access has radically improved.

Viruses which generally plague desktops can be controlled by updated Antivirus and good security policies making it literally virus proof.

UNIX for historical reasons has been the operating system of the choice for enterprises all over the world. Its a proven technology (although we should remember it was patchy once).

Regards,

Siddhesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alian,

For the production server Unix is much better than Window OS.However window are user friendly than compared to Unix .

Many a times Windows users talk about what Windows can do but Unix can’t. To be fair, they need to know what Unix can do but Windows can’t

1) Unix doesn’t have the virus problems

2) Unix Doesn’t need defragging. The Unix file systems work very efficiently such that it arranges data in a way that it doesn’t require defragging

3) Unix doesn’t crash without any apparent reasons.In Unix the core operating system (kernel) is separate from the GUl (X-Window) from the applications (OpenOffice.org, etc). So even if the application crashes, the core operating system is not affected. In Windows (Microsoft prefers to call this tight integration) if the Browser crashes, it can take down the entire operating system

4) Unix doesn’t require frequent re-installation. In Windows if the OS crashes, there is no easy way to recover this. Many IT support staff don’t know what to do and all they can do is re-install Windows. Which means that users applications and preferences are lost, and again needs to be installed. I haven’t seen anyone using Unix, requiring to re-install unless there is a hard drive failure. Most things in Unix can be fixed without requiring re-installation. The benefit of this is all the users preferences can be preserved even if the OS needs to be re-installed. This can be handled by creating a separate partition for the home directory

5) Unix doesn’t require frequent rebooting. Unix runs extremely stable, even if an application crashes, there is no need to reboot the whole system, just restart that application or service

6) Unix can read over a 100 different types of file systems.. Windows is limited to its own

7) For more number of user Unix is much better in performance compared to Window

Hope this will help you .

Appreciate with Points if it above helps you .

Regards,

Gokul B

Edited by: Gokul Bhogabandi on Mar 14, 2008 2:45 AM

Edited by: Gokul Bhogabandi on Mar 14, 2008 2:46 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

UNIX/Linux or Windows. All has its own set of unique features, advantages and disadvantages.

Its difficult to say which one is the better choice, it is not as difficult to answer which is the better choice given your needs.

Need to check on on the

- Stability

- Performance

- Scalability

- Compatibility

- Price

Having worked on both OS. I would prefer UNIX.

Shaji