cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux anyone?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, just curious about this Linux SAP world out there. I would like to know:

- What hardware you are using for Linux?

- Is the database on the same server as the CI?

- If not, are you running the database on another hardware platform?

- Happy or not with using Linux, compared to other OSes?

I have this new projet coming up and before I suggest we choose Linux, I want to get a feel for it.

-Cyril

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I want to second what Markus mentions above. I recently worked for four years at a site that was running SAP applications on RedHat Linux (also on HP equipment incidentally). At no point in those four years did we ever have to take down a system (or a system go down) due to some issue related to the OS. The OS patches were rock solid.

J. Haynes

Former Member
0 Kudos

Same here:

• What hardware you are using for Linux?

HP Proliant (mostly DL 585)

• Is the database on the same server as the CI?

Yes (Oracle and MaxDB)

• Happy or not with using Linux, compared to other OSes?

Yes (considering the costs) stability and performance is good.

We started 1.5 years ago with sap on linux, everything worked fine from the beginning. We are quite happy with the platform, although we don't have really big systems on linux so far.

Regards, Michael

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Go to sdn.sap.com/saponlinux.

This is the best place to get information about SAP on linux including OS, hardware, DB details

Thanks!

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

- Happy or not with using Linux, compared to other OSes?

You can run any operating system on any database successfully if you have the knowledge to do so.

If you are coming mainly from a Windows background and you have no idea of shells, environment variables and you are used to "click" then go with Windows, it will keep you off a nightmare. If you´re on the other side used to command line, if you know how a Unix system works, then you can mainly choose any *nix platform available.

It´s all a matter of knowledge and familiarity and also the strategy of the company you work in.

Markus

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Hi, just curious about this Linux SAP world out there. I would like to know:

>

> - What hardware you are using for Linux?

We use HP hardware (DL360/DL365/DL380/DL385/DL580/DL585, both 32bit and 64bit, we also have some Itanium-2 (IA64) boxes with Linux running SAP applications).

Other vendors are certified too (Sun, IBM, Bull, Unisys, Fujitsu-Siemens...) - check the relevant notes.

> - Is the database on the same server as the CI?

Depends on the application but mainly yes.

> - If not, are you running the database on another hardware platform?

No.

> - Happy or not with using Linux, compared to other OSes?

We are very happy - we migrated years ago from Windows to Linux for stability reasons (as of that time NT 4.0 Enterprise Edition)..

Markus