cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update statistics with 640_EX2 kernel

0 Kudos

Hello,

I'm no longer able to do UPD_CHECK, UPD_COND and UPD_UNCOND since upgrading to a 640_EX2 kernel.

This happens on WebAS 6.20 on Linux IA32 and on WebAS 6.40 on Linux X86_64. Scheduling backups and verifys still works from db13. MaxDB version is 7.6.4.07. The problem exists with versions 120 and 212 of dbadaslib.so.

Are these commands working for anyone? I suspect this could be one of these nice C++ ABI incompatibility problems, because libSQLDBC76.so is linked against libstdc+.so.5 and dbadaslib.so is linked against libstdc.so.5 and libstdc+.so.6.

Since I am on an unsupported Linux distro I would like to know whether this happens on supported distros, too.

Thank you,

Sebastian

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The EX/EX2 kernels are compiled for newer operating system and newer database versions for the "old" software. They don't contain any new functionality. So if kernel 640 runs on your system already you can keep using it.

Markus

0 Kudos

I know that I can stay with the original 6.40 kernel without problems. But these systems are not very important and I like being beta tester And my Linux servers should actually have at least the same versions of glibc and gcc as SLES 10 or RHEL 4. So although this is no big problem as I can either switch back or update statistics with dbmgui I'd just like to know whether this really is a local problem.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ok

What errors do you see in the logs when using the EX2 kernel?

Markus

0 Kudos

Thank you for pointing me to the logs again, I scanned them too superficially last time.

This is written to the trace file of a batch process:

C  Starting Update Statistics on connection 2 ...      
C  *** ERROR => connection for UPDSTAT is not available
[dbupdsdb.cpp 140]

This is interesting, because the connection test in db59 is successful for all 4 types of connections.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I think with the "connection" it means a utility session.

Earlier versions of MaxDB needed a utility session (util_connect) to do the update statistics, newer versions do a "db_execute" without a utility session.

The reason you see this error can be, that the support package level you're on (SAP_BASIS) is too low to know, that DB13 should run db_execute instead of util_connect.

So there's a discrepancy between the EX2 kernel versions and the needed support package levels on your system.

Markus

Answers (0)