cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cost element and Line item reports show different actual costs

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi PS experts,

My client has an issue pertaining to actual cost reports. The cost element report shows actual costs $42,000 for one WBS and when I double click to see details the value it shows is $2100. Even when I checked line item report for this WBS the value is $2100. What could be the reason for getting different values? If some one throw some light on this it would be great helpful to me

Regards,

Laxminarsimha

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Possible reasons:

In cost Element report the selection parameters are in Fiscal periods and when you call the line item report by double clicking, the selection parameters (for line item) are not passed (some times) as the same,observe the posting dates/Cost Elements that appear in the line item report output.

There shouldn't be any difference as such, you can review the both the reports mentioning same parameters.

Better use CJEN and re-construct the Project Data Information data base and use value categories.

Regards

Sreenivas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thank you very much for your prompt response

I tried with the same parameters, but both these reports show different values

Regards,

Laxminarsimha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ensure that you use the same line item report layout i.e., while calling from Cost Element report and viewing directly in CJI3

Regards

Sreenivas

Former Member
0 Kudos

I get the same value for line item report whether I call this report from either Cost element or directly in CJI3. But this differes from the cost element report value. It happens only for few projects, othres show correct values.

Regards,

Laxminarsimha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Any possible solution to this??

Regards,

Laxminarsimha

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Laxminarsimha

The values in CJI3 should be correct and will include all postings (e.g. Settlement values) and possibly Actual Revenues unless a filter is in place - so take this as being your correct figure to start with.

Your drilldown will show the same value as CJI3 because it is CJI3

Any cost element report you are using is probably correct for what you are asking - is this a Standard Cost Element Report you are using or is it bespoke

One thing to be careful of when you drilldown on Cost Element Reports is that you do not always get the a make up of the value you have drilled down

e.g.

Cost Element Report was run for Period 1 to 6 2008 and shows £100.00

You drilldown and sometimes the drilldown automatically shows ALL line items e.g £500.00 (not just the values for periods 1 to 6 of 2008 which you may expect £100.00)

In the past I've removed the drilldown capability from bespoke cost element reports to prevent drilldown to the line item report (which is CJI3) because of this problem.

Usually where values for a a number of periods only (not total costs) was required

Other factors to consider

Revenues/Settlements may be excluded from Cost Element Report but will not be excluded from CJI3 unless you specifically restrict

You need to identify which types are postings are missing from the Cost Element Report (what is common...cost element, dr/cr indicator, business transaction)

I've also hit the mistake in the past where I've asked for periods 1 2007 to period 3 2008 and instead of giving me just over a years worth of actual it gave me actuals for periods 1 to 3 for 2007 and 1 to 3 for 2008.

Hope this helps

Steve

Former Member
0 Kudos

Steve,

Thank you very much for detailed explanation.

We are using standard cost element report i.e S_ALR_87013543. I run the report for a project, for one of WBS the value is $42,000 for cost element 600001.

Then I run CJI3 for the same period, WBS and cost element 600001. The value is $2,000.

Why am I getting difference? If there is any filter, how do I check that?

Thanks in advance

Regards,

Laxminarsimha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

By default there will not be a filter unless one has applied to the layout.

What I would suggest you do is the following

Run CJI3 for your cost element to get your value of 2,100 or whatever it was

Add the columns for Business Transaction and possibly Dr/Cr indicator to the report

Let me know what values are contained in the list (particularly interested in anything with KOAO)

I would then filter out anything with KOAO

Lets see if this gets your near the value of $42,000

Regards

Steve

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I did as per your reply, added Dr/Cr indicator column.

Under this column, some rows have value D- Debit posting or Receiver debit posting. The total value of these rows is $2500.

Remaining rows have value O - Special:Sender Credit from settlement. These value is $400.

So the net total is $2100

Regards,

Laxminarsimha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok

I think to help further I need to know exactly what parameters you are entering in to each Report

This means the selection parameters in the S_ALR... Report

And the selection parameters in CJI3 Report

Steve

Former Member
0 Kudos

Steve,

The selection parameters in the S_ALR..report are

WBS

Fiscal year 1900-9999

Period 1-12 and

Cost Element

and parameters for CJI3 are

WBS

Cost element

posting date 01.03.1900 to 31.3.2008

Display variant /JMCSUBTOTA

Regards,

Laxminarasimha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Try Changing the Display Variant to 1SAP

Does thsi give you a different value?

Steve

Former Member
0 Kudos

Also in the S_ALR report use to period 016 instead of 12

Just in case postings have been made to periods 13, 14, 15 and 16

Steve

Former Member
0 Kudos

No luck.

I tried changing display variant as you mentioned in CJI3.

And also change the period to 16 in the report S_ALR..

But the same old values are coming.

Regards,

Laxminarsimha

Former Member
0 Kudos

And you've already run CJEN? as per the earlier note...

Are you able to provide a dump (in Excel forma) of all records for the WBS from CJI3 including Dr/Cr Indicator/ Value Type and Business Transaction fields aswell as others you deem appropriate e.g Cost Element and Amount, Posting Date, Document Date etc

Steve