Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Password Strength while creation of a User in WebDynpro ABAP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In many websites, there is a provision to check strength of password with colour coding, while creating a new user or changing password. (For eg in Facebook.com)

I have similar requirement in my project. To acheive this I have written a small algo, which checks password length and availability of certain special characters. I have used Progress Indicator view element of WebDynpro to show the strength. It displays with colour and percentage of strength.

Does NetWeaver provide such functionality? Can I acheive it without writing any algo and rather using some standard feature?

Thanks a lot in advance for your guidance.

Best Regards,

Sanjeev

ERP-HCM Dev

SAP Labs India

2 REPLIES 2

Former Member
0 Kudos

In SAP NetWeaver ABAP there are system parameters which start with login/*. These are used to determine the password policy (length, characters, etc) and when creating a user (with password) or the user resets their password (from the logon screen, or tcode SU3), then the password needs to comply with the policy, otherwise the password is not changed / set.

You do not need to check this, the system does it for you.

If you want to check the password, before you use it to create the user with the password, then try function module PASSWORD_FORMAL_CHECK. I am not aware of any way to get colours or reasons for why the password is not compliant with the policy (after all, the user would know which password they chose). That would only add more risk to the password being cracked by someone else, in my opinion.

Cheers,

Julius

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Login/password_expiration_time

lets you to set max password expiration.

If you are on 4.7 or higher you can also use:

login/min_password_digits

lets you to set the minimum number of digits in a users password

login/min_password_letters

lets you to set the minimum number of letters in a users password.

login/min_password_specials

lets you to set special characters.

login/min_password_diff

allows you to control the number of different password to be used.

SAP note 2467 gives you the info all these parameters.

Need to restart the system once these changes are made.

Rakesh