cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MDM ABAP API - is there a easier way to Create Records ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

This question is for MDM ABAP API resources. I have studied the MDM ABAP APIs and the How-To documents and have tested some of them. Especially the Create ABAP APIs.

Let us say I am trying to create records in the Main Table and there are a few columns (fields) which are defined as lookup Flats . To create a main table record , first I have to identify all the associated record-ids for each of the lookup table fields from their corresponding look up flat tables and then specify them while creating the main table record. This process is very time consuming.

My current review of the How-To APIs indicates that this is the only way to do this.

I hope I am wrong and there is a simpler API/ process where we can specify the values and it will look up and get the record-ids and populate in the Main table.

Pleas let me know if you have come across a simpler solution.

Thanks.

Siva K.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Andreas,

Thanks for your response. I understand that we do not want the API to go drilling down and finding the Record-ids of look up tables. So I would identify the associated record-ids and then create the main record.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Siva,

always consider that your work with an API and not with a UI.

There is no simpler way of populating a main table with lookups.

A lookup is nothing else than a foreign key relationship between two tables.

As such it should be treated (compare to any other DBMS).

Putting any logic on top of this (like automated ID digging) would make the API logic (with the name value pairs) way to complex.

BTW: The simple interfaces are also based on the name value pairs approach.

Kind Regards

Andreas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear MDM ABAPers,

I have not received any reply. Do you need more information on the question ? Thanks. Siva K.