cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can BIC Mapping tool truncate fields which are too long for EDI destination

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I'm looking for a way to automatically truncate fields which are longer in the idoc than in the X12 message I'm mapping them too.

One option is in the XI Mapping tool on a field by field basis to use the substr function to the length we are after.

This is very cumbersome and time consuming and not the ideal solution.

Is there a way to do this on the SeeBurger BIC Mapping tool?

I have seen options such as setDesinationTrim and setShortening as Destiination options on the BIC Mapper, these are close but don't do what I'm after.

Cheers,

John

Error Message

Delivery of the message to the application using connection AS2_http://seeburger.com/xi failed, due to: com.sap.aii.af.ra.ms.api.RecoverableException: --- Conversion of synchronous request from module chain ended with errors ---Error: [Error:ID=3041;LEVEL=3] FieldData testValueTooLong(): destination offset 226: The value assigned to the Field 127 (value Test FP2,Single Item & Qty,No Spec, path ISA.GS.ST.REF:127) is too large - truncated. DESCRIPTION: FieldData Warning: The value assigned to the Field 127 is too large! It was automatically decreased. : javax.resource.ResourceException: --- Conversion of synchronous request from module chain ended with errors ---Error: [Error:ID=3041;LEVEL=3] Fiel.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey John,

I have found an option like "setSourceTrim" and "setDestinationTrim" in Seeburger BIC mapping which I think could be useful to you incase if you are using BIC modules in the configuration.

Regards,

Nithiyanandam

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nithiyanandam,

Thanks for the response, these are closer to what I'm after but basically just remove additonal spaces and zeroes. (see documentation below).

They don't help if there is just text which is longer then the field I'm populating.

Basically I'm looking for something that automatically truncates fields to the edi x12 length they are going to.

For example in the error message I gave above the IDOC field was 40 characters and the EDI field ISA.GS.ST.REF:127 was only 30 causing the error. As stated above I could handle this in the graphical mapping tool on a field by field basis.

But what I'm looking for is a generic solutions ideally provided as part of the BIC mapping tool or perhaps an option as part of the adapter configuration to automatically truncate all fields which are too long.

Thanks again for your help and if anyone knows of a way of doing this I'd be grateful.

Cheers,

John

Former Member
0 Kudos

btw, Satish sorry for getting your name wrong

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sanjay,

Thanks for your input, as I stated the setShortening parameter does not do what I'm after.

See documentation below.

setShortening

Syntax: setShortening("on"|"off")

Parameters:

on: delimiters at the end do not appear

off: delimiters at the end appear

Note: You can use this function only once per mapping. It initializes the writer, if it is used more than once within the same mapping, improper results may be returned!

But you can call the function as Java inline code. Then, the last call of the function controls the writer's behavior.

Example:

#javastart

m_stdout.setIfShorten(false);

#javaend

I'm not sure if you've ever used the BIC Mapping tool and what I'm really looking for is someone with experience in this area to give a solution that works. Anyone out there who can help?

Cheers,

John

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi John,

If you see the documentation what you have given :

Parameters:

on: delimiters at the end do not appear

off: delimiters at the end appear

it clearly says the parameter is used for the delimiters, but not for truncating length of the fields in Seeburger.

I'm not sure if you've ever used the BIC Mapping tool and what I'm really looking for is someone with experience in this area to give a solution that works for this question:

By the way I have used the seeburger and this requirement we have done within XI because we have done all the rules within XI not in seeburger. But I will give a try with this requirement and will try to update you. Until unless I work with any of the issue I will not suggest. Even If I didnt I will try and then will suggest. Dont get me wrong.

Cheers,

John.

Former Member
0 Kudos

John,

Keep setShortening parameter as true in the communication channel where you are using BIC module and give a try.

Regards,

---Satish