cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving DCs from one track to another in the same NWDI server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Can someone please guide me as to what are the steps of deploying the DCs from one track to another in the same NWDI server?

I have a back-up of the source code of all DCs that need to be moved to another track.

Thanks,

Subathra M

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Are they in the same SC? Then all you need to do is create a transport connection between the tracks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pascal,

Thanks for the reply. The DCs will be in different SCs.

What should I do in that case?

Regards,

Subathra M

former_member365727
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Refer to this link on how to setup track connections based on the requirement.

[Track connections|http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/07/f6bc3d42f46c33e10000000a11405a/frameset.htm]

Regards

Srikanth KV

Former Member
0 Kudos

In that case follow note 888969.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pascal,

Thanks a lot for the reply.

I want to know if I can make a copy of the DC in another track. i.e, DC with the same name in 2 different tracks. Is this possible at all?

Please advice.

Thanks,

Subathra M

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can create a DC with the same name as long as you take care of the name reservation. You may have to manually unreserve the name in the SLD.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pascal,

I don't get what you mean. Can you please explain?

Also, once again to put my question clearly - is it possible to deploy 2 DCs with the same name in 2 different tracks in the same NWDI server?

Thanks,

Subathra M

Former Member
0 Kudos

If your NWDI setup is complete, then every DC name you create is reserved in the Name Reservation service of the SLD. This happens to ensure that the same DC does not exist twice in your landscape (you cannot reserve the same name twice). If you insist to create a DC with a name that has already been reserved (because it was created in a different SC), then you have to remove the name reservation for that DC from the SLD Name Reservation.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pascal,

Thanks for the explanation.

This is my understanding - DCs with the same name can exist in different tracks (also, different SCs). Their URLs will be same - meaning at one point of time, there will be only one of those DCs active on the server, right?

Please correct me if i am wrong.

Thanks,

Subathra M

Former Member
0 Kudos

Not all DCs build web applications... But for web applications I guess your statement is correct.

timo_renner
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Subartha, Pascal,

in theory Pascal is right: a DC with the same name can exist in different tracks, also in different SCs.

BUT: it is not advisable to re-use a DC name in a different context, means: the DC should have the same content, or at least the same applications. If not you would overwrite an existing application in the case you bring the DCs/SCs into the same runtime systems.

So please use this with care!

Regarding the address: the DC doesn't necessarily have an effect on the URL prefix (but by default, for Web and Web Dynpro modules it has).

Best regards,

Timo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Timo/Pascal,

Thanks for the replies.

Mine is a Webdynpro DC in which case, the content will be overwritten, right? Meaning the latest deployed DC will be on the server.

Also, can you please point me to a link or any material to copy the Webdynpro DC from one track to another?

I think I can follow this blog might be helpful:

/people/helmut.tammen2/blog/2006/01/30/how-to-migrate-a-dc-to-a-new-sc

But it is to migrate the DC as such, right? same as moving a DC.

Please guide.

Thanks in advance,

Subathra M

timo_renner
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi,

ok, I am not quite sure if you really got the point, so let me explain:

Copy of a DC

You cannot copy a DC, only the content of it and paste it in a new DC (with another name).

Move a DC to another SC

You can move a DC from one SC to another SC. You have to do this in a track where you have both SCs available. You can use SAP-Note 888969 or the DC command line tool.

Transport a DC to another track

You cannot transport a single DC, but only an entire SC to a different track.

So, what is it exactly what you want to do? Do you want to re-use the name of the DC because you accidently used it? Or do you want to copy the content of the DC to modify it in another track?

Best regards,

Timo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tim,

Many thanks for the explanation.

Scenario - There are around 15 Webdynpro DCs in track1.

Now I want to copy 5 of them to track2 & 5 other to track3. The remaining 5 should stay in track1 only.

>>Copy of a DC

>>You cannot copy a DC, only the content of it and paste it in >> a new DC (with another name).

By this, I understand that DC cannot be copied; but only the code can be copied to another DC in another track. This DC should have a different name.

>>Move a DC to another SC

>>You can move a DC from one SC to another SC. You have >>to do this in a track where you have both SCs available. >>You can use SAP-Note 888969 or the DC command line tool.

Can you please tell more about the DC command line tool?

>>Transport a DC to another track

>>You cannot transport a single DC, but only an entire SC to a different track.

Transporting an entire SC? - I don't understand this!! All the DCs will be moved to different SC, is it? But then, how does it differ from moving DC to another track? Please explain.

>>So, what is it exactly what you want to do? Do you want to >>-use the name of the DC because you accidently used it? >> do you want to copy the content of the DC to modify it in >>another track?

I didn't use the DC name accidentally; but I want to segregate the DCs in diiferent tracks. So, it will ultimately be copying the content of the DC to modify it another track.

I hope I am clear now.

Thanks for your time.

And, I see that I cannot award you any more '6' points. It's either '2' or '10' . May be you can post multiple replies so that I can give you '2' points each time. I will be giving a '10' when this thread is closed.

Thanks,

Subathra M

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I tried moving a DC from one SC to another following the SAP Note.

I get this error when doing so.

/************************************************************/

Starting Ant..

Using build file: /usr/sap/DI1/JC00/j2ee/cluster/server0/temp/CBS/84/.B/3135/DCs/<my component>/_comp/gen/default/logs/build.xml

Using build target: build

Error: /usr/sap/DI1/JC00/j2ee/cluster/server0/temp/CBS/84/.B/3135/DCs/<mycomponent> /_comp/gen/default/logs/build.xml:14: Fatal Error: com.sap.engine.lib.xml.parser.ParserException: Bad comment content(file:///usr/sap/DI1/JC00/j2ee/cluster/server0/temp/CBS/84/.B/3135/DCs/<mycomonent>/_comp/gen/default/logs/build.xml, row:14, col:36)

at org.apache.tools.ant.helper.ProjectHelper2.parse(ProjectHelper2.java:222)

at org.apache.tools.ant.helper.ProjectHelper2.parse(ProjectHelper2.java:131)

at com.sap.tc.buildplugin.techdev.ant.util.AntRunner.run(AntRunner.java:112)

at com.sap.tc.buildplugin.DefaultAntBuildAction.execute(DefaultAntBuildAction.java:58)

at com.sap.tc.buildplugin.DefaultPlugin.handleBuildStepSequence(DefaultPlugin.java:196)

at com.sap.tc.buildplugin.DefaultPlugin.performBuild(DefaultPlugin.java:168)

at com.sap.tc.buildplugin.DefaultPluginV3Delegate$BuildRequestHandler.handle(DefaultPluginV3Delegate.java:66)

at com.sap.tc.buildplugin.DefaultPluginV3Delegate.requestV3(DefaultPluginV3Delegate.java:48)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:85)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:58)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:60)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:391)

at com.sap.tc.buildtool.v2.impl.PluginHandler2.maybeInvoke(PluginHandler2.java:350)

at com.sap.tc.buildtool.v2.impl.PluginHandler2.request(PluginHandler2.java:102)

at com.sap.tc.buildtool.v2.impl.PluginHandler2.build(PluginHandler2.java:76)

at com.sap.tc.buildtool.PluginHandler2Wrapper.execute(PluginHandler2Wrapper.java:58)

at com.sap.tc.devconf.impl.DCProxy.make(DCProxy.java:1723)

at com.sap.tc.devconf.impl.DCProxy.make(DCProxy.java:1495)

at com.sap.tc.buildcontroller.CBSBuildController.build(CBSBuildController.java:727)

at com.sap.tc.buildcontroller.CBSBuildController.execCommand(CBSBuildController.java:503)

at com.sap.tc.buildcontroller.CBSBuildController.evalCmdLine(CBSBuildController.java:442)

at com.sap.tc.buildcontroller.CBSBuildController.run(CBSBuildController.java:314)

at com.sap.tc.buildcontroller.CBSBuildController.exec(CBSBuildController.java:252)

at com.sap.tc.buildcontroller.CBSBuildController.mainLoop(CBSBuildController.java:207)

at com.sap.tc.buildcontroller.CBSBuildController.main(CBSBuildController.java:168)

Caused by: com.sap.engine.lib.xml.parser.ParserException: Bad comment content(file:///usr/sap/DI1/JC00/j2ee/cluster/server0/temp/CBS/84/.B/3135/DCs/<mycomponent>/_comp/gen/default/logs/build.xml, row:14, col:36)

at com.sap.engine.lib.xml.parser.XMLParser.scanComment(XMLParser.java(Compiled Code))

at com.sap.engine.lib.xml.parser.XMLParser.scanProlog(XMLParser.java:2781)

at com.sap.engine.lib.xml.parser.XMLParser.scanDocument(XMLParser.java:2832)

at com.sap.engine.lib.xml.parser.XMLParser.parse0(XMLParser.java:231)

at com.sap.engine.lib.xml.parser.AbstractXMLParser.parseAndCatchException(AbstractXMLParser.java:145)

at com.sap.engine.lib.xml.parser.AbstractXMLParser.parse(AbstractXMLParser.java:160)

at com.sap.engine.lib.xml.parser.AbstractXMLParser.parse(AbstractXMLParser.java:261)

at com.sap.engine.lib.xml.parser.Parser.parseWithoutSchemaValidationProcessing(Parser.java:280)

at com.sap.engine.lib.xml.parser.Parser.parse(Parser.java:342)

at com.sap.engine.lib.xml.parser.SAXParser.parse(SAXParser.java:125)

at org.apache.tools.ant.helper.ProjectHelper2.parse(ProjectHelper2.java:208)

... 25 more

--- Nested Exception ---

com.sap.engine.lib.xml.parser.ParserException: Bad comment content(file:///usr/sap/DI1/JC00/j2ee/cluster/server0/temp/CBS/84/.B/3135/DCs/<mycomponent>/_comp/gen/default/logs/build.xml, row:14, col:36)

at com.sap.engine.lib.xml.parser.XMLParser.scanComment(XMLParser.java(Compiled Code))

at com.sap.engine.lib.xml.parser.XMLParser.scanProlog(XMLParser.java:2781)

at com.sap.engine.lib.xml.parser.XMLParser.scanDocument(XMLParser.java:2832)

at com.sap.engine.lib.xml.parser.XMLParser.parse0(XMLParser.java:231)

at com.sap.engine.lib.xml.parser.AbstractXMLParser.parseAndCatchException(AbstractXMLParser.java:145)

at com.sap.engine.lib.xml.parser.AbstractXMLParser.parse(AbstractXMLParser.java:160)

at com.sap.engine.lib.xml.parser.AbstractXMLParser.parse(AbstractXMLParser.java:261)

at com.sap.engine.lib.xml.parser.Parser.parseWithoutSchemaValidationProcessing(Parser.java:280)

at com.sap.engine.lib.xml.parser.Parser.parse(Parser.java:342)

at com.sap.engine.lib.xml.parser.SAXParser.parse(SAXParser.java:125)

at org.apache.tools.ant.helper.ProjectHelper2.parse(ProjectHelper2.java:208)

at org.apache.tools.ant.helper.ProjectHelper2.parse(ProjectHelper2.java:131)

at com.sap.tc.buildplugin.techdev.ant.util.AntRunner.run(AntRunner.java:112)

at com.sap.tc.buildplugin.DefaultAntBuildAction.execute(DefaultAntBuildAction.java:58)

at com.sap.tc.buildplugin.DefaultPlugin.handleBuildStepSequence(DefaultPlugin.java:196)

at com.sap.tc.buildplugin.DefaultPlugin.performBuild(DefaultPlugin.java:168)

at com.sap.tc.buildplugin.DefaultPluginV3Delegate$BuildRequestHandler.handle(DefaultPluginV3Delegate.java:66)

at com.sap.tc.buildplugin.DefaultPluginV3Delegate.requestV3(DefaultPluginV3Delegate.java:48)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:85)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:58)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:60)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:391)

at com.sap.tc.buildtool.v2.impl.PluginHandler2.maybeInvoke(PluginHandler2.java:350)

at com.sap.tc.buildtool.v2.impl.PluginHandler2.request(PluginHandler2.java:102)

at com.sap.tc.buildtool.v2.impl.PluginHandler2.build(PluginHandler2.java:76)

at com.sap.tc.buildtool.PluginHandler2Wrapper.execute(PluginHandler2Wrapper.java:58)

at com.sap.tc.devconf.impl.DCProxy.make(DCProxy.java:1723)

at com.sap.tc.devconf.impl.DCProxy.make(DCProxy.java:1495)

at com.sap.tc.buildcontroller.CBSBuildController.build(CBSBuildController.java:727)

at com.sap.tc.buildcontroller.CBSBuildController.execCommand(CBSBuildController.java:503)

at com.sap.tc.buildcontroller.CBSBuildController.evalCmdLine(CBSBuildController.java:442)

at com.sap.tc.buildcontroller.CBSBuildController.run(CBSBuildController.java:314)

at com.sap.tc.buildcontroller.CBSBuildController.exec(CBSBuildController.java:252)

at com.sap.tc.buildcontroller.CBSBuildController.mainLoop(CBSBuildController.java:207)

at com.sap.tc.buildcontroller.CBSBuildController.main(CBSBuildController.java:168)

Ant runtime 0.303 seconds

Ant build finished with ERRORS

Fatal Error: com.sap.engine.lib.xml.parser.ParserException: Bad comment content(file:///usr/sap/DI1/JC00/j2ee/cluster/server0/temp/CBS/84/.B/3135/DCs/<mycomponent>/_comp/gen/default/logs/build.xml, row:14, col:36)

Error: Build stopped due to an error: Fatal Error: com.sap.engine.lib.xml.parser.ParserException: Bad comment content(file:///usr/sap/DI1/JC00/j2ee/cluster/server0/temp/CBS/84/.B/3135/DCs/<mycomponent>/_comp/gen/default/logs/build.xml, row:14, col:36)

Build plugin finished at 2008-03-14 14:45:22 GMT+00:00

Total build plugin runtime: 8.161 seconds

Build finished with ERROR

/********************************************************************/

This exception occured when I tried to implement the 16th step in the Solution given in SAP note. i.e when I tried to activate the activity that was integrated manually.

I do not know how to resolve this. Can someone please advice?

Thanks in advance,

Subathra M

Edited by: M Subathra on Mar 17, 2008 10:38 AM

timo_renner
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Subartha,

please check the following:

- is your CBS buildspace properly initialized

- did you use any dependencies that may have changed

- have you checked-in the right files (NEVER check-in folders like "gen", "gen_wdp", "bin" etc; means everything that is generated during build)

Please go through the steps and check for correctness.

Best regards,

Timo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Timo,

Thanks a ton for the reply.

>>is your CBS buildspace properly initialized

>>did you use any dependencies that may have changed

>>have you checked-in the right files (NEVER check-in folders >>like "gen", "gen_wdp", "bin" etc; means everything that is >>generated during build)

There were 5 dependent SCs in all in the old track; out of which only 3 are relevant to the DCs that I am trying to migrate. So, i think there is no problem with the dependencies. Is there any way to check what are all the dependent SCs pertaining to a DC?

Regarding the files that I checked in, I followed the SAP Note. I just checked in the _comp folder. Also, I opened my activity to see the files checked in. It doesn't have any gen* files.

How do I check if CBS is properly initialised? Please guide.

Thanks in advance,

Subathra M

Answers (0)