cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are batch jobs client dependent?

neil_hoff
Participant
0 Kudos

We are setting up a training environment using multiple clients on our QAS system.

There are some batch jobs that need to be run on our main client that should not run on the training clients.

Are background jobs client dependent or independent? I am guessing that it depends on the program being run, but I need to make sure.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Neil,

The actual tables behind the job scheduler (namely, TBTCO and TBTCP) are client independant tables.

However, when the job is started by the background scheduler, the job will execute in the client in which the job was defined, identified by column AUTHCKMAN in table TBTCO. This is the client that will be used by the executing ABAP when accessing database tables.

Gary

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

zeeshan_xt
Explorer

Short answer to this question is YES scheduled jobs are client dependent. They ONLY run in the client they were originally scheduled in. Although after a client copy you would see the scheduled job listed in transaction SM37, if you double clicked on a job then clicked on JOB DETAILS button at the top

You will see a client field that shows which client this job was scheduled in

To test this create a job in more than one clients on same server then check the job details and you will see that even if jobs are named exactly the same their CLIENT field would be set to whichever client they were scheduled in. This is the only client this job will run in.

Transaction SM37 is designed to show you ALL jobs system-side regardless of which client they're scheduled to run in. Suspending or deleting a job in one client (using SM37) will suspend/delete it in all clients.

Same goes for the programs that can suspend/release jobs (e.g. program: BTCTRNS1 suspends jobs and BTCTRNS2 releases jobs) do so system wide (not client-specific). So if you ran the program BTCTRNS1 in one client to suspend jobs it will suspend the job in all clients.

dasistdochscheisse
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Some jobs, e.g. SAP housekeeping jobs to delete old spool requests, can delete stuff in all clients though they were started in 000. For this, special authorizatipons are needed an dit is of course a requirement for basis people, because usually we work only in client 000.

If you start a functional job, i strongly doubt that you can do harm to other clients. It depends on the programming and the authorizations of course.

Former Member
0 Kudos

yes, batchjobs are client dependent only. but I suppose that reports it runs can get data from different clients.

With regards

Sudha