cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to generate one invoice for a sales order with product returns

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I have a sales order that has been delivered and goods issue posted. Now the customer returns some of the product and I generated a Return using VA01 - document type RE, generated a returns delivery and posted a goods return.

I need to generate an invoice that will only consider the quantities that were not returned.

I have checked the sales process pertaining to returns, but all I have found consider generating a Credit Memo.

Is there a way to generate an invoice that will only invoice the quantities that were not returned? Say I sold 10 pcs, and 2 were returned, so I want to invoice 8.

Many thanks in advance.

Oscar

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

When the sales order was raised for 10 units was F2 invoice being done for it. If not then how return order was created. Wasn't it referencing the invoice F2.

If the return order is stand alone then there will be no connection to original sales order. Furthermore the invoice for remaining qty which is not returned is not possible as this is not standard sap process. Also correct process according to Financial accounting perspective is to invoice for 10 units and then give credit for 2 units.

Hope this helps

Kind regards

sandeep

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Oscar,

As per my understanding if you have not invoiced for 10 nos . Then reverse the delivery and make it for 8 pieces and then invoice it.

But if you invoicing for 10 nos and taking returns for 2 without refernce then only it is possible.

Regards

Jyotsana

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Regarding your issue, i feel there something is missing at the time of understanding the requirement. In general fo SAP standard or in general busines when i delivery the 10 PCS of quantity then bill the customer for 10 PCS of quantity it means realising the revenue for full quantity but at the time of returs customer return 2 quantity then will raise the credit memo for 2 quantity and the accounting entries are as below

At the time of sale

Customer Dr.

Sales Cr.

At the time of Returns

Customer Cr

Sales Dr.

System knock off the entrirs based on CR and Dr.

Regards

Goutham

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sandeep, Jyotsana, Goutham. Thank you all for your time and your replies.

What is happenning here is that there is a vendor-client relationship where there is a constant flow of purchase orders, and the orders are large.

I understand that it is standard SAP procedure, but in this case, it is not the most efficient. I have two alternatives the way I see it:

1. Post the invoices according to SAP Standard, and then the Credit Memo.

2. Reverse the Purchase Order.

There are disadvantages with both alternatives:

1. I get much more paperwork than I really need.

2. When I get the returns, the delivery, picking and goods issue have been posted, and I would have to reverse all that. Not a very good Idea I think, especially if I have a purchase order with 150 different materials and I get a return of 2 items of one material.

Again, thanks for your replies. From what you have told me I am thinking that what I'll need is to implement a User Exit or Badi.

Best Regards,

Oscar

Former Member
0 Kudos

hello, friend.

actually, your requirement is SAP standard.

1. when you create a standard sales order (type OR), deliver the order and post goods issue, you must create a billing document with reference to this delivery document to invoice the delivered order quantity. the billing type is F2. i believe you just need to do this to answer your query.

if you know the delivery document number, enter this when doing VF01. if you do not remember the delivery document number, you can look for this by going back to your standard order and clicking on the document flow icon.

2. invoicing a sales return (type RE) goes through the same but separate process resulting in billing type RE (credit memo for returns).

hope this helped you.

regards.

Edited by: jonathan yap on Mar 10, 2008 10:01 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jonathan, thanks for your time.

I know that the process you describe is the standard. That is what I have found in all my searches of the forum.

What happens is that I receive the returns before I generate the invoice. In these cases, I don't really need a credit memo. From a process viewpoint all I have to do is subtract the returns from the goods issue and invoice only the resulting amount.

Best Regards,

Oscar