cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IDS-Scheer and SAP Partner on Process-Centric SOA

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

SAP and IDS Scheer recently announced a partnership (extended partnership) around Process-Centric SOA:

http://www.ebizq.net/news/9108.html

Do anyone have any more details around this or knows where you could find some more details around this?

Regards,

Markus Johansson

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

Here are links for same information from SAP and IDS Website.

http://www.ids-scheer.com/en/sixcms/88813.html

http://www.sap.com/usa/company/press/press.epx?pressid=9129

Hope this will help.

Regards,

Piyush

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Piyush,

Thanks for the information. It helped to some extent but I am still looking for some more details what this really mean and how/if this e.g. relates to SAP Enterprise Architecture Framework (SAP EAF). Another question would e.g. be: if I do information modelling in ARIS, is this reflected in the Business Objects in SAP ESR and the other way around etc?

Regards,

Markus Johansson

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

ARIS is used to design/model business processes.

From these links, what I have understood is that you can import SAP enterprise services and create a business process through AVE(ARIS Value Engineering).

If the ES provided by SAP is not fulfilling your need, identify new services, generate there interfaces and implement then in SAP backend.

After that, you can monitor your complete process and services.

ESR is used to define only enterprise services but not business process.

ARIS tool is already available with some licence fee but I am not sure whether this eSOA based ARIS is shipped to customer or in ramp up. They have recently announced this promotion

Please share your thoughts if you have got something.

Regards,

Piyush

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Piyush,

My understanding of the ESR is that you will/can do more then model your Enterprise Services (ES). You can potentially describe your "landscape", from a meta data perspective, including your Business Objects, process components, integration scenarios, Enterprise Services, allowed data types/Global Data Types in your landscape etc and in that way set up a governance model around this. In ESR, when working with some of the models (e.g. process components and integration scenarios, ARIS is used as the tool/GUI even though you do not see it explicitly. Do you have any experiences using the ESR in this way?

Related to this I also see a potential to use this metadata to generate "proxies/skeletons" for e.g. service and business object implementations no matter if it is decided to use ABAP, Java, .Net etc for the implementation.

In ARIS you can do process analysis and model your processes and hopefully (from the partnership SAP-IDS Scheer) use meta data from the ESR as part of the modelling. But as I understand it, it is still two repositories and with the new SAP BPM tools (Project Galaxy, with its own repository?) on its way, SAP will offer process modelling (based on BPMN) to some level that needs to fit into the partnership with IDS Scheer too. Do you have any details or links to detailed information on this?

You can also do information modelling in ARIS as I understand it but is there a linkage between the Business Objects in ESR and the information models in ARIS? How could they be integrated? How does this relates to SAP MDM where you also model Master Data objects?

I think there still are some questions around this and I hope that the "extended" partnership around "Process centric SOA" will answer some of them perhaps.

What is your view?

Regards,

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

ESR is shipped with both PI 7.1 and CE 7.1.

PI 7.1 is shipped with ESR( it is replaced by Integration Repository which already had option for integration scenarios)

The customer who don't have PI in there landscape can benefit ESR by installing it with Netweaver CE 7.1. But is that ESR contains the process to define Integration Scenarios?

Because with PI , it make sense as PI is a middleware which is used to integrate heterogenous systems and also to develop/integrate business processes.

Does it make sense for the ESR(with CE) to provide this process modelling capalbilities?

According to my knowledge, currently neither ESR nor BPM of PI provides underlying structure for ARIS.

ARIS is seperate tool and can be integrated if required.

I have not any links or information on Project Galaxy except that it is also coming with process modelling capabilities.

ESR is a newly launched and it will take some time to uncover its relationship with ARIS. But up to now, it is anyway not related to ARIS.( this is my understanding). Yep there is planning to release something in future( got from the links in our previous posts). May be they are trying to make a connection between ARIS and ESR to make use of enterprise services.

ARIS seems to be a tool for process modelling instead of information modelling.

It will be nice to view your further comments and thoughts.

Regards,

Piyush

MendelKoerts
Explorer
0 Kudos

Markus,

The SAP EAF comprises a metamodel containing all architectural entities and their relations, for the business domain (including information, cf TOGAF) as well as for systems and technology. This is one of the complements to TOGAF that the SAP EAF brings. ARIS supports this metamodel. The only practical link there is at the moment between ARIS and SAP is in that you can 'transport' business models (the process steps to be precise) to Solution Manager. This is being used more and more. The ARIS feature to create documentation after go-live, e.g. during an upgrade, is another interesting one. I do agree linking ARIS process steps to service descriptions in the ESR would be a key future development in this area.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Mendel,

I agree with you that the link between Solution Manager and ARIS and the SAP EAF implementation in ARIS do bring value already today, but I am really interested in if/when/how SAP will take the next step and if the press released "initiative" is the next step I am looking for :-).

On interesting aspect of this is that today all process models is based on ARIS ePC:s and not BPMN. SAP's new BPM initiative, "Project Galaxy", will be based on BPMN. Does this means that SAP will deliver new reference models (or something more sophisticated perhaps) based on BPMN? Will SAP take the investment of redoing this for Business Suite or will SAP only do this the new "Application platform" (which "SAP Business By Design" is based on)?

I guess SAP will deliver the answer somer or later but it would be interesting to hear if anyone knows anything around this.

Regards,

Markus

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for all good input and discusion around the topic!

I will set the thread to answered but please use the thread for futher discuission of the topic.

Reagards,

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus, my colleague Mendel Koerts pointed me towards your questions and this thread: indeed very interesting topics that we have been investigating and still are looking for more details about from IDS Scheer and in particular SAP...!

In my view, answer lies partly in BPM Roadmap presentation by Thomas Volmering at last year's TechEd where he indicated that SAP will indeed deliver BPMN based referenence models - or rather business process components - by end of 2008.

Moreover, besides EPCs, ARIS offers support for BPMN (new version also 2.0) for process modelling. To my knowledge IDS Scheer and SAP are now finalizing scope of new integration to include number of 'meta data objects' you mentioned.

I share your eagerness to learn what Composite Business Process platform fka Galaxy will deliver in Q3... Looking forward to more feedback and continued discussions,

best regards, Günther