cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kernel Update

Former Member
0 Kudos

I followed the instructions in NW04 Support Package Stack 14 Guide to Update the ABAP Kernel (p.48). The instructions tell you to unpack the sapexe.sar and sapdbexe.sar files into a temporary directory. Then overwrite the files in the kernel directory (<drive>:\usr\sap\<SAPSID>\sys\exe\run) by copying the files from the temporary directory into the kernel directory.

After completed the update, I started the SAP Services using the MMC. I noticed that the files from the kernel directory were changed back to the original files or atleast they appeared to have changed back based on the size and date of the files.

Questions:

Are the files supposed to be changed back to the original files? Is this action by design?

Are the files copied from the (<drive>:\usr\sap\<SAPSID>\sys\exe\nuc\NtI386) directory?

Do the files in the nuc directory need to be updated as well?

Please help me understand how the kernel update works.

Thank you.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi, Doug Colwell:

The files under directory /usr/sap/<SID>/sys/exec/run will not be changed to the original files only when you restore the original kernel files.

Files in the nuc directory is not need to be updated as well.

The new kernel patches files may be the same size as the original files or a little bigger than original.

You should stop sap application completely before you update kernel patch, including SAPOSCOL service.

Before you update the kernel patch, you should write down the original kernel patch by transaction SM51 or "System --> status". Then you will know if your update is successfull.

By the way, all the instances of your SAP system will be updated in the same way.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

If the system is not completely down when you make the updates then certain files will not be overwritten, so it may appear that it was switching back to the old kernel when in fact it was never updated.

eddy_declercq
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi, Were the dates and sizes changed before you started MMC?

Were you sure that you stopped 100% everything before copying everything?

Eddy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Please run rsparam report from se38 and see DIR_CT_RUN is pointing to which directory.

Copy the kernel files in tat directory.