cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deploying from a "open" directory

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

We currently have an application that runs on websphere. The application is deployed on the ApplicationServere but is not packaged in an EAR file. We simply point the deployment archive to a directory which is the EAR file expanded.

This allows us to quickly make changes to JSPs, Servlets and EJBs and the appServer will notice the change and restart the application automatically.

Is this also possible with SAP AppServer? If so, how do you deploy the application without having an EAR file and having the EAR directory instead?

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Benny
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Eduardo,

as we make quite large apps usually, we need to administrate the deployment process with SDM (software deployment manager). Unfortunately this also includes that such a behaviour as you describe it is not only impossible but strictly forbidden, as the Java development infrastructure needs complete controll over the environment.

It is, however, thinkable to allow this in a development system. We are not there yet and I doubt that this will happen for EJB, because I even wonder how this is achieved as EJB changes invoke stub generation and compilation - So you really have to know what you're doing.

Regards,

Benny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Benny,

I take that as a NO

Yes, I was refering to a development environment only, because it would increase productivity. EJBs would only need new stubs if the interfaces changed. If you only change some code this would not be needed.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eduardo,

you can try using a function of the Deploy Service called Single File Update. Basically, it allows you to update a single file to an already deployed application.

For more information, see this topic from the documentation: http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/be/052d57d30170458487137358c080c2/frameset.htm

<b>NB!!!</b> Consider using this function for <b>development environments</b> only!

Regards,

Ivo