Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restrict user access to given printers

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I'm working at restrictions in access users to given printers. I create output devices and group them into Autorizations Group (in SPAD/Device Attributes ). Then I create in PFCG role with Spool: Device Autorizations and type in Spool: Long device names one of created Autorization Group e.g SALARY. After assing this role to some user and log in I still see all printers in system instead of printers in Group SALARY. What I do wrong.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jurjen_heeck
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> After assing this role to some user and log in I still see all printers in system instead of printers in Group SALARY. What I do wrong.

I do not know if restricting printers will also block from seeing them.

Are these printers assigned to any other group? Restricting to group SALARY will allow printers from this group and printers without group assignment .

Have you tried actually printing to one of the printers outside SALARY group?

6 REPLIES 6

jurjen_heeck
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> After assing this role to some user and log in I still see all printers in system instead of printers in Group SALARY. What I do wrong.

I do not know if restricting printers will also block from seeing them.

Are these printers assigned to any other group? Restricting to group SALARY will allow printers from this group and printers without group assignment .

Have you tried actually printing to one of the printers outside SALARY group?

0 Kudos

I tested described above solution in many variants. Test user has only 1 role assigned. I try even hide/deny access to all printers in tested role but it doesn't work - i always see all printers and can print on it.

SAP create many wired options, but they are completly useless cause you must waste your time to check what's going on ( if you can ...)

I think that my problem isn't something really difficult and doesn't require hackers abilities to make thing works... .

In MS AD I can do this in 30 seconds.

I've got about 40 printers of different types - mostly HP laser printers but also EPSON impact printers and some NashuaTec for mass-printing. I consider solution to divide set of all printers to disjointed subsets consists of printers in our departaments.

Main point of my idea was "Need to Know" - this means for me show end-users only this printers which they need use, more list of options is more problems for admin ...

0 Kudos

Well, I know I've been able to restrict printers on device name in the past. Infact it was about rectricting people from printing to a printer in the salary department. I'll see if I can dig up some configuration.

Jurjen

Oh, and don't rant too much if you want help from us, it doesn't encourage, really. There's loads of things SAP can do which are comletely impossible in MS AD

Here's the SAP documentation:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_47x200/helpdata/en/c7/58c902e5bf11d18e2b0000e83dd9fc/frameset.htm

Hope that helps. No test system available at the moment so I cannot test for you.

Edited by: Jurjen Heeck on Mar 7, 2008 3:34 PM

0 Kudos

I'm not any MS Warrior or Bill fanclub member, but as a client which buy (and pay a lot) for product I expect that some core-functionality is provieded as a built-in.

Let supose a company which have 200 printers, you want to print and ... you see "neverending" list of ambigious names like bal3r45hp4350-2 or something and printer you want use is in the middle of this list and you must print on it 50 different things per day. Sound like a horror isn't it ?

I really appreciate your attention and thanks for your help. I hope that some could help with my problem.

Regards

Michael

0 Kudos

>

> you want to print and ... you see "neverending" list of ambigious names like bal3r45hp4350-2 or something and printer you want use is in the middle of this list and you must > print on it 50 different things per day. Sound like a horror isn't it ?

Nah, select it once and set it as your default printer, just like in Windows. As far as the names are concerned, naming is an art in itself. On the print dialogs filtering is provided for both the name and description and if you use, say four different printers regularly the local history of the SAPgui will remember them for you. I think it's not that bad at all.

I hope the documentation will help you further.

0 Kudos

i do agree with jurjen.

if you have various printers in on department, even in MS you would have to choose which one to use.

set your default printer in transaction SU3 and have your funkie guys do the application customizing properly, maintain all the condition-data in applications and you should never have to choose a printer of a -more or less- big list at all.

this is not a matter of providing a solution where your average user has to think of using one out of four printers. this is a matter of your average user not to have to do any thinking at all. check with your functional consultants and have them do their work.