cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ALE Settings...Why?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

I know all the steps that one has to carry out to set up ALE between two systems. What I would like to know is why do we do it?

Particularly, why do we need to define logical systems? Can't we usre the physical system name itself?

Why do we distribute a model?

What is the concept of Partner Profile?

These questions may seem ridiculous, but I would like to get my concepts clear.

Thanks,

Merrilly

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

why do we need to define logical systems? Can't we usre the physical system name itself?

--->

'logical system' is used to identify an individual client in a system, for ALE

communication between SAP systems. That's why you see a field for 'logical system' in the client master data in SCC4 (table T000). You use logical systems in ALE config.

Why do we distribute a model?

--->

Enterprise business objects of a SAP system are distributed with the help of BAPIs (Business Application Programming Interfaces). ALE acts as a layer that incorporates the inter-linking of business objects at the application level. The ALE layer provides the following services:

Applications services: this layer provides ALE with an interface (for instance: BAPI) to R/3 to facilitate data exchange to or from external R/3 systems.

Distribution services: the onus of filtering and converting messages exchanged between SAP and non-SAP systems is on the distribution layer of ALE. This service is the core service and acts as a sandwich layer between application and communication layers.

Communications services: ALE supports synchronous as well asynchronous communication. Synchronous messaging is used for the direct reading of control data, while asynchronous messaging is used for transmitting or receiving application data.

The implementation of ALE is achieved with the help of external converters (ALE converters), which connect SAP applications to non-SAP applications. In simple words, external converters are generic-format conversion programs, which contain specific converter functions. The capabilities of the external converter will be discussed later in this article.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_sm32/helpdata/en/78/217df551ce11d189570000e829fbbd/content.htm

What is the concept of Partner Profile?

--->A partner profile is an identifier for the sending system that is used for communicating messages. You will be using LS as it is used for ALE communications. Every partner profile used for ALE must be based on existing LS

Thanks

SWarup

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you ALL...

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

There are two kinds of ALE customizing data: Application customizing data which configures the application processes.

Basis customizing data: This data is the technical configuration of the distribution (distribution model, logical systems, partner relationship definitions, etc.).

regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mathew,

We need Logical names to communicate the applications with each other in our SAP.

We need Partner Profile creation , inorder to determine Your Partner to receive the IDOC.

We need to create the Distribution model to distribute the IDOC to the Corresponding partner

Regards

Seshagiri

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

if you want to get the connection to other SAP systems only (no non sap)we need ALE conection .in this reagrd we have to define a logical system not physical system.

if you send an Idoc to another SAP system or any othere system u have to create Distubution model view,in this we are gonna specefy message types and all.

Patner profiles are haivng the information about our patner system details.

And we have to set the ports also in between these systems.

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thank you for your replies.

My queries have still not been answered.

In the distribution model we specify the logical systems and the relevant message types. We also do that in Partner profiles. Why do we need both?

As far as the logical system is concerend, let me rephrase it, what is the concept behind using a logical system.

Thanks,

Merrilly

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Logical system says were the data have to go,to which client...in any SAP system we can have any number of clients so i want to send to perticular client....this is the reason to define the logical system name.

Now is it clear or u have any more dought update the thread

Regards,

Phani

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Phani.

what about pratner profile and distribution model?

Regards,

Merrilly