cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what is UNSPSC? how to use them?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Can any one tell me what is UNSPSC, how do we use them?

what is the benfit of using them, Is that UNSPSC manadatory for categorising the products.

where do we find this UNSPSC in the SPRO path?

Regards,

Sairam.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ram,

UNSPSC is United Nations Standard Products and Service Code.

We have many products and services available in the market. But our vendors may use some codes in their systems and we may have those codes with some other terminlology for our understanding. So we can make use of UNSPSC and normalise this mismatch and globalise the codes for the products and services we are buying.

Standard SAP doesnt provide this in the Shopping Cart.

We can make use of MDM Catalogs... and bring this UNSPSC to a Custom created field in Shoppin Cart.

Thanks & Regards,

Ashwin.

Please Reward for Useful Answers.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Sri Ram,

UNSPSC: United Nations Standard Products and Services Code

All most all companies, especially public companies use UNSPSC standards to categorize their products. These code are same for all and agreed by the members of UNSPSC organizational body. Categorizong the products using UNSPSC helps companies to be in complience with SOX.

As per my knowledge, UNSPSC codes are not delivered by SAP, normally these are the codes maintained by clients as per their business needs. There are over 20000+ commodity (product category) codes available. So all companies doesn't need all.

UNSPSC hierarchial classification looks as follows...

For ex: 44000000 (Office Equipment and Accesssories and Supplies) - Sement

- 44120000 (Office Supplies) - Family

- 44121500 (Mailing Supplies) - Class

- 44121508 (Message Droppers) - Commodity

-

In addition to above 8 digit number you can have two more characters as per your business function. But most of the companies use 8 digit. Hope this information helps.

Reward points if this answer is helpful.

Thanks,

Shankar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sairam,

It is very useful for example to map your product category with an external vendor catalog, UNSPSC can be the key.

I hope this helps you.

José Luis D.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sai,

This is a code for categorizing Products and services. A kind of standard developed by United nations development council.

As far as SAP is concerned i don't know about the link between this code and the ECC or for that matter with any SAP package.

Please raise a query with SAP in this regard and please let us know why you want this and how exactly you are going to use this ?

Rgds,

Teja

masa_139
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

[http://www.unspsc.org/|http://www.unspsc.org/]

It is category classification.

Regards,

Masa