cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Preview all SQLs before running brspace.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm on the way to prepare the reorg using brspace.

I'd like to know if there is a way to preview all actions (SQL statements, OS commands, ...) which will take place when submit the brspace command like "brspace -f tbreorg -a long2lob -t"*" -p 10 .

With the option <-d|-ddl first>, I can only see the ddl statement. It does not give me all things that brspace will do.

Thanks for your input.

Hai-Thuy

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

unlike sapdba, brspace does not generate sql cripts (beside the ddl.sql) it is using the Oracle Supplied Package DBMS_REDEFINITION.

It is described in SAP note 646681

Nahum

fidel_vales
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi,

AFAIK, you cannot preview what will be done.

You can increase the trace level and see what have been done

SAP note 29321 Creating traces for BR Tools

Former Member
0 Kudos

In the past, I know this feature existed in SAPDBA. Now with the generation tools, BRSPACE, the feature is removed. SAP should give something equivalent.

Thanks for the note 29321. It's very helpful.

Hai-Thuy.

fidel_vales
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

hi,

would you mind to explain what feature existed in SAPDBA.

> brspace -f tbreorg -a long2lob -t"*" -p 10 .

the mentioned operation does not have ANY equivalent in SAPDBA ( online reorganization of all tables converting long to log )

perhaps you are talking about an OFFLINE reorganization, which is NOT the same as you asked at the beginning.

For OFFLINE reorganizations you can generate the scripts BEFORE, also with BRTOOLS.

The idea behind BRSPACE is online reorganizations, for that reason, offline reorganizations are a bit "hidden"

Former Member
0 Kudos

No I don't mean that SAPDBA has the feature of reorg online.

Don't you mind to show me how to generate the scripts before with BRTOOLS ?

Thanks for your input.

Hai-Thuy.

fidel_vales
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi,

the scripts can only be generated for offline reorganizations, not for online.

The reason is that you can generate them now (middle of peak time) but you want to execute them later (middle of the night/weekend)

I do not have access to a system right now, but you can find an example on the SAP note 646681:

4. Creating DDL statements for tables with LONG fields
----------------------------------------------------------
brspace -f tbreorg -s <tsp_name1>[,<tsp_name2>[,...]] -t "*"
-n <new_tsp> -d only_tab
-n <new_tsp> -d only_ind
-n <new_tsp> -d only_dep
The old tablespaces still only contain tables with LONG fields after a successful online reorganization.
Caution: The DDL script for the dependent objects that was generated in the last step consists, for SAP databases, entirely or almost entirely of comments.

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

BRTOOLS (or in this case, brspace) does not generate SQL commands like SAPDBA used to do. it just does not work that way with BRSPACE.

sorry... but this is the sad truth.

you can activate a BR_TRACE with level 15 and trace what commands are passed. go read SAP note 29321-Creating traces for BR Tools. This solution is not as good as the old SAPDBA trick, but you can probably work it out.

Good luck!