cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feedback thread for "How To Design a SAP NetWeaver - Based System Landscape

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have just published a RIG How To Guide called [How To Design a SAP NetWeaver - Based System Landscape|https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/50a9952d-15cc-2a10-84a9-fd9184f35366]. You can read my [blog |http://www.sdn.sap.com/?blog=/cs/weblog/view/wlg/8877]on it. This thread is collect feedback and discussion on the Guide.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Matt!

This is definitely interesting reading and a lot of projects I've been in could have benefitted from it had it been carefully read beforehand by some of the involved parties.

What I like especially is the fact that this is not only for technical consultants (who should know about most of these things anyway) but for the people closer to the business who need to find agreements with the technical guys.

Good job...

Jörg

Some comments to what I read:

I noticed that you use the term 'server virtualization' (section 3.3.1) quite generally. Maybe it would be worth introducing the term 'server consolidation' (which you use later in the document) already in this early chapter. My experience shows that (especially recently) a lot of customers are interested in 'virtual servers' (meaning a virtual server with an OS installed separately), not really knowing what they're talking about and often better advised to use 'server consolidation' (one OS, many SIDs). These two concepts are similar in terms of sharing hardware resources, but quite different in terms of the implications toward administration.

In section 4.2.1.3 you mention (in brackets) the Usage type to which the client belongs for the Business Explorer and the J2SE Adapter Engine if I understood that correctly. There is no UT mentioned for the other clients and there is no explanation on what the bits in brackets are supposed to mean. (I first expected the 'BeX' abbreviation when I saw something in brackets...)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jörg,

Thank you for the reply and the feedback!

Regarding your comments...

Server virtualization and consolidation -- you make some interesting points here. The reason I started this thread was to collect this kind of constructive feedback so it can be incorporated into future versions. Perhaps a small restructuring of that section may be useful to more strongly point out the differences.

Section 4.2.1.3 - Yes, the Business Explorer is only used with BI and the J2SE Adapter Engine only with PI/XI, so that's why they are called out in parenthesis. The other Clients are more generic and used with multiple usage types. Perhaps this could be explained more, but we also point out to see the SAP NetWeaver Master Guide for further information.

Again, I appreciate the time you have taken to comment.

Best Regards,

Matt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Matt,

You have made a very insteresting job with this guide.

I have a question regarding the Landscape for the usage type BI Java.

Currently we have EP 7.0, ERP 6.0 and BW 3.5. We are planning to upgrade to BI 7.0, and we want to know the best option to install the BI Java. We use the Enterprise portal for XSS and as a front end to BW. We are not using BW-BPS and we are not planning to use BI-IP.

Additionaly, I have read that the configuration of federated portal is very complicated. It´s that tru?

According to my analysis the best option for us is to install BI Java in the existing portal server. What do you think?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Best regards,

Hector Salazar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Matt,

A lot of schematics I see in other documents are positioning the SCS/ASCS in the database layer but your figure 4 is not clear about this.

In a traditional three-tier architecture it would surely be frowned upon to do this as it multiplies traffic to the db node. ie GUI - ASCS - APP Serv - DB traffic flow.

Some clarification around this would be useful.

Regards Kevin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kevin,

I agree with you. As in Figure 3, in Figure 4 the SCS/ASCS is implied to be in the Application Layer.

Best Regards,

Matt

kkram
Contributor
0 Kudos

Matt and Mike

Clearly written, concise and up to the point. Thanks for your efforts.

KK

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am unable to pull up the file. error "file damaged and unable to be repaired"

can someone help?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

Perhaps there was an error during your download or there is something wrong with your browser cache. I deleted my temporary internet files to make sure and I was able to use the link to download the file.

Best Regards,

Matt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just wanted to thank you for this.

This is a reminder that what used to be best practice back in the 3.x (or even 4.6 or 6.40) days isn't necessaruily the best way to do things with Netweaver 7

There's a lot of ancient knowledge posing as current fact around the place, and its ncie to be able to show Customers and their technical staff things like this (i.e. Netweaver isn't your Daddy's BASIS anymore....).

I'll read, digest and respond over the next couple of days.