cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Install Solution Manager on Suse Linux Enterprise Server 10 - JAVA

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello everyone!

I've been trying to complete the pre-requisites in order to install Solution Manager SR2 on Suse Linux Enterprise Server 10 x64 - SP1.

There's only one last condition that I haven't met, and it's the Java Runtime Environment version...

I checked the recommended note 867110 and it says that i need to have installed the J2SDK 1.4.2_08.

SLES10 includes the 1.4.2_13, so I had to uninstall it, and download the right version from Sun Microsystem's official webpage.

When I installed the version 1.4.2_08, i'm not able to run SAPINST because there's no Java Runtime Environment running on the server.

I started to investigate and I found in some forums [NOT EXPLICITLY] that there's no port for J2SDK 1.4.2_08 on x64 linux systems.

I can't believe this is true because SLES10 is recommended by SAP to install Solution Manager, so I hope somebody can help me on this.

My specific question is: Does anybody know if is true that J2SDK 1.4.2_08 is NOT COMPATIBLE with x64 Linux?

In case of being true, is there any way to be able to run SAPINST ? because if I enable the version SLES brings built in, i'm able to run the SAPINST but it detects that i'm not running version 1.4.2_08 and doesn't allow me to continue installation.

I hope somebody can help me soon...

Regards!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I checked the recommended note 867110 and it says that i need to have installed the J2SDK 1.4.2_08.

You are using the wrong note.

1.4.2_08 is available only as 32bit and won´t run Solution Manager.

You need the IBM JDK 1.4.2, not the one from SUN - check note 861215 - Recommended Settings for the Linux on AMD64/EM64T JVM. In that note you will find a link to download the correct JDK. Install it and point sapinst to the correct location.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Markus

I already downloaded the IBM JDK, I already installed it but i can't make it work. I mean, SuSe doesn't detect any Java Runtime Environment installed...

I found the step-by-step guide to install it and didn't work...

If you Markus, or somebody else have any experience or reference about IBM JDK 1.4.2 on Suse Linux Enterprise Server 10 SP1, please help me...

PS: The file I downloaded was IBMJava2-AMD64-142-SDK-1.4.2-9.0.x86_64.rpm

Raymi

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> Thanks Markus

>

> I already downloaded the IBM JDK, I already installed it but i can't make it work. I mean, SuSe doesn't detect any Java Runtime Environment installed...

You need to explicitly state the path during installation:

export JAVA_HOME=<PATH_TO_JAVA_HOME>

> If you Markus, or somebody else have any experience or reference about IBM JDK 1.4.2 on Suse Linux Enterprise Server 10 SP1, please help me...

Without knowing what you do it's impossible to help...

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm sorry, i forgot to specify that i already had introduced the commands to export the Java Home Path and Sapinst JRE Home Path.

SAPINST_JRE_HOME=/opt/IBMJava2-s390-142/jre/bin:$PATH

JAVA_HOME=/opt/IBMJava2-s390-142/jre/bin:$PATH

I also tried the same commands without " :$PATH " at the end...

Just after that, I run the command "env" and the linux environment doesn't show any Java variable...

I also try "java -version" and says "bash: java: command not found"

I tried activating J2RE 1.4.2_13 [SUN] (SLES 10 Built-in) and IBM-SDK 1.4.2.9 and i'm able to run sapinst (It recognizes a JRE on the linux environment) but it still shows me in the pre-requistes task that i'm running on J2SDK 1.4.2_10 and It needs 1.4.2_08

I think that's all i can say for now, thanks for trying to help me Markus

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> SAPINST_JRE_HOME=/opt/IBMJava2-s390-142/jre/bin:$PATH

>

> JAVA_HOME=/opt/IBMJava2-s390-142/jre/bin:$PATH

You downloaded the wrong version - the one you have is for Z-Linux(Linux running on the mainframe - not for x64).

You need to download the x86_64 (or AMD64) version.

Install the correct one and try on a new console:

export JAVA_HOME=/opt/IBMJava2-amd64-142
export PATH=$JAVA_HOME/bin:$PATH

Then execute

java -fullversion

and it should show the correct version.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Markus, i had the right version but i wasn't running the right export command.

I could start SAPINST, but it stills says that i'm not using SDK 1.4.2_08 and recommends me to check note # 867110.

A co-worker tells me that he's seen that before in other operating systems (SAPINST DOESN'T RECOGNIZE THE JAVA VERSION EVEN WHEN YOU'VE INSTALLED THE RIGHT ONE)

I'm gonna keep trying to solve this pre-requisite and be able to install Solution Manager. Your help has been very useful..

Regards!

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

So what's the output of

java -fullversion

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos
java full version "J2RE 1.4.2 IBM build j9xa64142ifx-20070808 (SR9 + PK50303)"
markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This looks good!

Now - if you start the installation (in a new directory), sapinst asks which JAVA_HOME it should use. Then you should give the correct path (/opt/IBM....)

If you just restarted the installation in the old directory it still has the information of the old path.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

should be right if I delete all sapinst_exe* folders in /tmp ???

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes - if everything else is already deleted so sapinst will think it's a new installation.

I usually don't start the installations from the CD but from a new directory:

mkdir /install

cd /install

/<path-to-sapinst>/sapinst

This will keep everything in one single directory without having the need to dig down to /tmp/sapinst_<pid>/WEBAS....

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

I deleted all folders (there were like 7 different sapinst folders in temp directory).

After deleting everything, started a new SAP installation and it still says that i have the wrong JDK version...

Here's a Screenshot:

http://i31.tinypic.com/34obud2.jpg

Now it's not recognizin which JAVA version i'm using... pretty weird to me...

PS: I've been using linux since 2 or 3 weeks ago so i'm really really noob on it

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Before the installation, did you point JAVA_HOME to the correct one (right before starting sapinst)?

What's the output of

echo $JAVA_HOME

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos
echo $JAVA_HOME

/opt/IBMJava2-amd64-142
markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Strange... and you´re using the same shell window to start sapinst as this output comes from?

What´s the output of

which java

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Did you stop start the installservicedeamon after changing the JDK?

Stopping the Installgui does not stop the Installdeamon.

(You deleted the /tmp Files so it should be a fresh clean installation).

plz run

#rpm -qa | grep -i j

(Output will show you every Package with Letter "j" in it. Its to be sure because some Packages

are named J2SDK.. or Java5.. or IBM-java ..)

Which Java RPMs are installed?

Regards Manuel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Markus: this is what i did:

- Open Gnome terminal

cd SAPDVDS
cd CD1 - INSTMASTER
cd IM_LINUX_X86_64
export JAVA_HOME=/opt/IBMJava2-amd64-142
export PATH=$JAVA_HOME/bin:$PATH
java -fullversion
         java full version "J2RE 1.4.2 IBM build j9xa64142ifx-20070808 (SR9 + PK50303)"
./sapinst

Manuel:

When I type #rpm -qa | grep -i j in the Gnome Terminal, it doesn't give me any output...

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

cd SAPDVDS
> cd CD1 - INSTMASTER
> cd IM_LINUX_X86_64
> export JAVA_HOME=/opt/IBMJava2-amd64-142
> export PATH=$JAVA_HOME/bin:$PATH
> java -fullversion
>          java full version "J2RE 1.4.2 IBM build j9xa64142ifx-20070808 (SR9 + PK50303)"
> ./sapinst

This looks good!

If you reach the point of the prerequisite checks, does it still tell you, you're using the wrong version? If yes, can you check the sapinst.log and sapinst_dev.log what java it chooses?

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Actually, you're right Markus...

You can check the log by yourself...

http://190.39.151.1:8888/sapinst_dev.log

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ok - apparently sapinst is not able to parse the output of "java -version". I did installations only with SR3.

I suggest you just ignore that error since the PATH is correctly set and the correct JDK will be used. The prerequisite checker doesn't seem to be able to detect that.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well, actually someone else told me that, but the Installer doesn't allow me to continue if I don't solve that condition =/

Any other recommendation?

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Try to set

export PRE_ANALYZE=off

before starting sapinst.

Markus

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

0 Kudos

I have had success with the following configuration for installations that use the Java stack. Installations based on Oracle and MaxDB databases.

Foundation of SLES 10 SP1 X86_64 + latest updates, selecting the following (to name a few) -

-java-1_4_2-ibm-devel-1.4.2_sr9-0.5 (from SLES installation)

-java-1_4_2-ibm-1.4.2_sr9-0.5 (from SLES installation)

-sapinit

-development tools

-kernel-source

All on Dell Intel Xeon and AMD-based servers, a couple of VMWare instances.

Systems:

- Solution Manager 4 SP3 (all other versions gave me grief in one form or another, especially SP1 and SP2!)

- ECC 6.0 minimal install

- MDM (PI 7.0 and EP 7.0 instances)

- Netweaver 7 + BI

Nothing special done outside of following the SAP installation guides and Linux SAP notes.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> -java-1_4_2-ibm-devel-1.4.2_sr9-0.5 (from SLES installation)

> -java-1_4_2-ibm-1.4.2_sr9-0.5 (from SLES installation)

Those two are not supported. The "SAP"-versions of the IBM JDK contains special fixes that are not delivered by default. I highly suggest using those instead of the operating system delivered versions.

Markus

0 Kudos

I downloaded the SAP-recommended JDK and compared it to the latest being provided by Novell for the SLES10 online updates. The version strings are identical to that required in SAP note 861215:

1. java -fullversion

java full version "J2RE 1.4.2 IBM build j9xa64142-20080130 (SR10)"

There are other fixes in SR10 that were work-arounds for SR9 issues. So far, so good in our MDM (and Solution Manager) instances....