cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Training client

Former Member
0 Kudos

Which would be the best place to create a training client for user ( DEV or QA or SANDBOX server .)

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Following the roles of systems, your QA system should be the most stable out of the systems that you have identified. Development is always going to have code instabilities that span clients as developers are doing work and other activity in there - you wouldn't expect them to do it anywhere else and they need that flexibility. Sandboxes are designed for exploration and should not be held to a standard of maintaining a level of quality that training requires - that is counter productive for these environments.

If you are not going to set aside an independent environment for training - I would suggest that you look to moving training to your QA System. With some degree of management, I have seen this work multiple times successfully. Training gets all that they want - real production data refreshed periodically and a recent code-set. Problems that may occur is when developers move projects to QA that are not properly tested in your Development testing client. If they did their job properly, there should be no issues. These problems are usually solved with increasing communication with training and development to co-locate.

The typical next solution is a production sized copy set aside for Training that only gets the transports after they goto production. Some new tools such as TDMS (Test Data Migration Server) can make sub-sets of data but that is another story that is longer than what this thread will hold.

Don't fall into the preception that you can just 'create' a clean system for training - the man hours to make it and maintain the master data by far outweigh the cost for a separate system and disk.

We can all get along if the rules are right - from my experience - that points to QA as it fits all the requirements with minimal exceptions and keep the freedom of the development process from being hindered by training activity.

Hope this answers your question - if it does, please set this thread to answered.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Are you able to provide more detail around this comment of: Don't fall into the preception that you can just 'create' a clean system for training - the man hours to make it and maintain the master data by far outweigh the cost for a separate system and disk

I am currently working on a an assignment where there is a belief that this is the best approach and am having difficulty justifying why this is not the best approach.

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Personally I would rather have a separate system for training, if you have lot of activity. Why: you would proably end up having to refresh it many times.

Why not in Dev, QA or SBX: All these instances are meant for specific purpose.

If you can't get a separate box for the TRN instance, if your SBX has enough power you could create a second instance on it.

thx

BMG

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'll go for the "get a separate box for training" option too...

The best is to prepare a Training Master Client with all the data, users and scenarios required for your training needs and then create 2 or 3 training clients that can be refreshed from your master cleint once the training is finished.

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you have enough hardware resource on SBX you can create another instance and use this for training purpose.

And all this depends on number of training users. My suggassion is that use one client as a golden client and crate more clients for training purpose.