Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stop DIA work process with PRIV mode.

Masaaki
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

How to stop DIA workprocess with PRIV mode. by searching notes, I find it is possible to setl the max time and max number of the private memory.

Kind regards,

Masaaki

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You should not stop them but limit them to an acceptable level.

Use profile parameters rdisp/max_priv_time and rdisp/wppriv_max_no for this tuning.

Regards,

Olivier

Masaaki
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thank you, but why shouldn't the process with PRIV be stopped?

Kind regards,

Masaaki

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

if particular Dailog wp is exceeding their maximum time it will go to PRIV mode

Former Member
0 Kudos

>Thank you, but why shouldn't the process with PRIV be stopped?

Maybe, because the users need a result from their reports !!

Usually when a job is launched it is because a result is required not just for the admins to play with...

Regards,

Olivier

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

pr_srinivas
Contributor
0 Kudos

Understanding Usage & Influence of Shared Memory and Local memory of SAP Memory Managment will help you to digest why WP are into PRIV Mode

Rgds

Masaaki
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thank you very much.

I understand process with PRIV will be finished later so we shoudl wait, OK?

Kind regards,

Masaaki

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Masaaki,

Before deciding whether to wait for the process to finish by itself or not, i would suggest that you find out the program which is causing the work process to go into PRIV mode. Once this is done, as your technical guys (ABAP) to analyse why this is happening (is the program logic inefficient and hence using so much memory etc).

You have to note that (Dialog) work processes going into PRIV mode is not a healthy sign for the SAP application server.

This is beacuse once the WP goes into PRIV mode it is not available to any other transactions, and we only have a limited number of work processes.

Please make sure the parameters below are defined in RZ10 instance profile:

rdisp/max_priv_time - used to define the maximum time that a work process can remain in PRIV mode. (After this the work processes is terminated and restarted). This is reasonable because beyond the time limit set, it is imperative to assume that the program using the work process is in efficient. (in case a program really needs that much time, it needs to be scheduled as a background job).

rdisp/wppriv_max_no- this parameter defines the maximum number of work processes that can be in PRIV mode. Very useful.

Also, make sure that a parameter ABAP/heaplimit is defined. This ensures that if a program eats up a certain amount of heap memory, the work process being used can be terminated.

And finally please do check if your extended memory allocation is not big enough. the parameter em/initial_size_mb defines the fixed size of extended memory. Increasing this size only if you find that a lot of processes are frequently going into PRIV mode.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Prashant

Masaaki
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thank you very much for your advice.

I will do the best for avoid PRIV mode. I understand Extended memory should expand more than extended memory max use in ST02.

Sorry,but I am afraid how shoudl I do AFTER PRIV mode process appears and it occupy all the WPs.

Can I stop is in SM50 or should I wait? Customer says it cannot be stopped in SM50.

Kind regards,

Masaaki

Former Member
0 Kudos

Masaaki, Can you please clarify a point for me.

In SM50 how many WPs (including Dialog WPs) are going into PRIV mode simultaneously?

Normally a WP goes into PRIV mode rarely.

If your WPs are constantly going into PRIV mode, i definitely believe there is a problem with the size of your extended memory

With regards to not stopping a process in SM50, yes dont stop it unless the user himself notifies you that he/she is stuck and wants you to terminate the process.

But as mentioned before maintaining the profile parameters if defined:

1. ZTTA/roll_extension- extended memory quota per process

2. ABAB/heap_area_dia

3. ABAP/heaplimit

4. rdisp/max_priv_time

5. rdisp/wppriv_max_no

should take care of the problem.

But for the current issue (if the WP is still running, get in touch with the user and find out what he/she is running).

Regards,

Prashant

Masaaki
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Prashant,

Thank you very much again and again.

I am BI consultant and PRIV mode occurs when we expand the number of the BI system user. BI report use DIA WPs.

when memory is consumed beyond the expanded memory, processes executed after that go into PRIV mode. and all DIA WPs are occupied.

my customer says after all DIA processes are occupied. there are no way other than restart the system again..... So making the process terminated is no problem. but they says it is not possible in SM50 and WP with PRIV mode would not be finished forever.. (I am not sure...)

Kind regards,

Masaaki

Former Member
0 Kudos

Masaaki,

I do understand that BI genarates report that take up huge amount of memory. Now that we are clear about the environment (which is BI), the solution is to go about increasing the Extended memory in parameter em/initial_size_MB.

I am not an expert at suggest by how much this has to be done though. Get in touch with your BASIS consultants (I assume you are not a technical guy since you said you are a BI consultant- correct me if i am wrong).

You can get some answers by posing the questions

What is the size of Extended memory at the moment?

How much heap memory is being eaten into when the WP take them up? (please note that Heap memory is shared between all the WPs- so you will know the aggregate amount being taken up by the WPs)

Also please check how much memory is allocated to the roll area (which belongs to the WP) this can be checked in the parameter ZTTA/roll_area. This might also have to be tweaked upwards.

But a word of caution. What ever additional memory allocation is done eats into the RAM. SO make sure the there is enough RAM available.

If the application server is saturating, think about distribution i.e additional instances (application servers).

These are the options to explore.

Regards,

Prashant

Former Member
0 Kudos

A correction here.

A work process does not go into PRIV mode because of time

A work process goes into PRIV mode, if the particualr open transaction process has eaten up all the memory in the extended memory (upto its quota- define by parameter ZTTZ/roll_extension), roll area memory in work process (defined by parameter ZTTA/roll_area) and then:

it starts taking up memory from Heap memory. When a work process starts using Heap memory, it goes into PRIV mode.

Also note that once a work process enters PRIV mode, work process multiplexing is no more possible for that open transaction.

Regards,

Prashant

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dynamically you can change value of rdisp/wppriv_max_no and rdisp/max_priv_time parameters in RZ11

Regards

Chandra