Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference in ' ' ,dummies and $

Former Member
0 Kudos

in Authorization field value what the difference between

' ' , Dummies and sometimes we find like

$werks or $burks.some one please clarify

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
10 REPLIES 10

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dummy is for madatory input fields and $ is refering to a ORGLevel variable and the value can be found in table AGR_1252

0 Kudos

dummy values can also come about from poor code or where a coder wants to do an initial check on existence of an object

0 Kudos

> Alex Ayers wrote:

> dummy values can also come about from poor code or where a coder wants to do an initial check on existence of an object

The existence of the (authorization) object will be checked by the authority-check statement, unless there is no requirement for the statement to be syntaxically correct (a good candidate for ending in ST22). Of that I am pretty sure.

Perhaps you meant, the existence of a value for the field in the record being selected? (in which case I misunderstood you).

Regarding the first part: I read the link again. The documentation appears to have changed from what I had remembered (or my memory changed :-). There is no clear indication that there must be "something" there but it does not matter what "it" is! (e.g. ' ').

I checked F1 in ABAPDOCU on a 7.00 system and it said a bit more, but implied the same: An authority-check for a field value DUMMY does not execute a check for the field value and sy-subrc is set to 0 (unless for other reasons not) => even if it is empty (a.k.a. "yellow")?

I guess it still depends anyway on where the authority-check is, and what the developer does with it if sy-subrc NE 0...

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

Hi Julius,

I've seen it coded a few times where the developer appears to want to do a quick validation before further processing - example would be F_BKPF_BUK, ACTVT=03 after the mandatory S_TCODE check before going into the tx and evaluating the various relevant BUKRS. An alternative to doing the same in SU93 perhaps?

Cheers

Alex

0 Kudos

Hello Alex,

I am still a bit confused now.

If you had a "vanilla" SAP system with 2000 dialog users in it... FI, CO, MM, SD, AA, a bit of PS and some batch-input... how many users would not have F_BKPF_BUK id ACTVT field '03' id BUKRS field DUMMY? (where DUMMY is "something", a company code of any sort, not caring which one).

I will try to check it again. I suspect that it might eve differ from object to object / mandatory to optional, etc...

Cheers,

Julius

Former Member

WolfgangJanzen
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

>

> Hi Banerjee,

>

> useful link

>

> http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04s/helpdata/en/9f/dbaccb35c111d1829f0000e829fbfe/frameset.htm

>

>

> thanks

> kishore

Many thanks, Kishore.

That's exactly what I would have replied ...

Cheers, Wolfgang

0 Kudos

> Wolfgang Janzen wrote:

> Many thanks, Kishore.

I am very tempted to click on the "Problem solved button" for having used the search, but ' ' is still fair game, so I'll go for "Very helpfull answer".

PS: Normally, I dont interfer. Actually, I <removed_by_moderator>

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Banerjee,

Please find below link which may relevent to ur post :

[]

along with that, $werks or $burks are depend on ur organisational requirement.You have to maintain those field values in as per ur company.

Rgds,

Gadde.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you all for reply