cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Main table and Lookup table relation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am just a beginner and trying to understand the very basics of MDM.

In a typical scenario given in sap.help it is told that the Main table(eg Product table) and the Lookup table(Manufracturers table) has a Many -to-one Relationship.

I think this can also be a many-to-many relation as there can be a combination of products getting manufractured in many places.

Is it said just to make us understand the realtionship ?

And also let me know if this lookup tables are just as check tables.

pls help me understand.

regards,

krishna.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes You are right Krishna, Main table can be linked to many lookup tables.

There is lookup (flat) and (multi-valued) also. Also lookup tables are just as check tables.

Just create a lookup table.

Create a filed in main table.

Select its type, you will see all the lookup options.

Link the lookup table to that particular field.

I hope it will help,

+ An

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Krishna,

There is many-to-one relationship because a repository can have only one main table but lot of lookups. and now a main table can have multiple fields of lookup types.

And because of only one main table there is no possibility of many-to-many relationship.

Yes in one sense these are like check tables because they refer to a main table field. and when you view data in DM then it comes from different lookup tables and main table fields.

Rewards if helpful.

BR,

Alok

Former Member
0 Kudos

yeah i accept that there wil only be one main table ,then it should be One-to-many relationship.which cannot be exist.

And coming to my question:

Product tab 1 -

> Lookup(1...........n)

(main table)

in the above case it shld be One-to-many.

and if possible can you give an example with some values for main table and Lookup tables.

Also it wll be fine if i can get to know how we decide a non qualifier fields and qualifiers fields in a qualified lookup table.

And also on what basis we decide it a lookup table and a non-lookup table.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Krishna.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Krishna,

1. The phrase you are talking about in Console guide talks about relationship between main table records and lookup table records not the relationship of main table and lookup table. So in that written is: "The relationship between main table records and flat, hierarchy, or taxonomy lookup table records is typically many-to-one (or perhaps many-to-few, if the lookup field is multi-valued)."

Say if you save multiple main table records they can have same data from different lookup tables so its many to one, and many to few because of multiple values in same lookup field.

2. it wll be fine if i can get to know how we decide a non qualifier fields and qualifiers fields in a qualified lookup table.

Non qualifier decides the value of qualifier on run time. qualifier are those values which changes on some basis but non-qualifiers are fixed. say currency change on region basis. so region is a non-qualifier which decides the value of currency.

3. what basis we decide it a lookup table and a non-lookup table?

Ans: i think its clearly described in Console reference page no:98,99 about lookups and non lookups.

Lookups have less data as compared to non-lookup tables. The lookup which have records more than main table is called non-lookup means we just want to take two or three fields from it in main table and rest all are just there.

Please rewards if helpful and rewart back if have more issues.

BR,

Alok

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks people for your replies....

cheers,

krishna.