Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CUA information and advice needed!!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All

Our SAP landscape is growing and I want to look at putting in the CUA or something similar!!!

Now, I have heard various stories about the CUA over the last few months mainly that is is apparentely being phased out, which is a little worrying as user and security administration is becoming a nightmare to manage.

If this is true what will it be replaced with and is there any information available about its replacement?

If anyone has any information on the CUA please let me know

Thanks

Phil

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Phil,

I heard something similar.

SAP purchased some technology (and a company) about a year ago and have an Identity Management product which they are now developing further and promoting.

There is even a dedicated SDN forum for it (see the sticky thread at the top of this forum).

Cheers,

Julius

8 REPLIES 8

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Phil,

I heard something similar.

SAP purchased some technology (and a company) about a year ago and have an Identity Management product which they are now developing further and promoting.

There is even a dedicated SDN forum for it (see the sticky thread at the top of this forum).

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

Thats true SAP came up with new product SAP Netweaver Identity Management 7.0 which actually serves as Identity Center and also as Virtual Directory.

This serves as both IDM and Directory tool. It can be taken as a threat to CUA which exists in our todays world.

But in most of the cases clients already have some directory service running in their landscape and some clients have IDM tools as well Ex : Siteminder, so going for a new product (IDM 7.0) at this time (which is not matured as a product) the chances are slim.

This scenario may completely change when SAP IDM tool mature as a product (same thing happened with VIRSA aka GRC, now everyone goes for GRC)

At the same time if you look at the products like Solution Manager (SAP SM) or ULM system (SAP ULM) one of the USP's for these products is still being CAN BE USED AS CUA SYSTEM because of their high availibility.

So still CUA is a good option for your landscape unless if you have plans to buy a new IDM or Directory tool in the near future, then Netweaver IDM 7.0 would be good option.

Thanks.

Regards,

Muthu Kumaran KG

Edited by: Muthukumaran Krishnan Govindan on Mar 4, 2008 4:17 PM

Edited by: Muthukumaran Krishnan Govindan on Mar 4, 2008 4:17 PM

0 Kudos

That for your response however can you expand on this:

'This scenario may completely change when SAP IDM tool mature as a product (same thing happened with VIRSA aka GRC, now everyone goes for GRC)'

Thanks

Phil

0 Kudos

I have just found this note which might be usefull

0 Kudos

Phil,

Added to my previous posting.,

When Virsa 5.0 (Java Stack) was introduced (before SAP acquired it) most of the functionalities was just an option rather working. Over a period of time SAP acquired it and started adding new functionalities and cleanup the old issues with the product. Even now the current version 5.3 have some issues but they are being trivial.

Now as a whole this product GRC is a pretty competent and mature product and is being used in PRD in big installations.

If you look into the lifecycle of any product it has to go through this phase. The duration of this phase is decided by the quality of the product.

I have taken GRC as an example to compare with IDM in no techinical means rather as a product.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks.

Regards,

Muthu Kumaran KG

Bernhard_SAP
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi,

there is no plan to deactivate CUA during the actual releases and the upcoming release as well. The functions are and will be still supported. So I see no problem during the next years... b.rgds, Bernhard

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm still a fan of CUA and HR base position security. Identity management has its flaw just like any product. An example will be ESS. ESS is based on the P_PERNR which is read on the PA record. How will Identity Management handle this? Sorry to go off track on the thread.

Implement CUA, it will be a long time before it gets phased out.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Phil,

We have decided to implement CUA. Netweaver Identity Management is still in development. The technical things we need are not clear enough for us. Further more are we implemnting DirX. After this we think about NIM.

We now implementing CUA and we get much experience. If you have any specific question, just mail it.

Greetings Hans