cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting a client

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am not a BASIS person, but I have to create a new client on an IDES system. The disk has a capacity of 68.3 GB out of which 12.9 GB is free. The disk has clients 000, 066, 810, 811 and 812. The clients do not contain much data; more or less freshly installation. I have to delete one or two clients to make way for the new client as this new client is going to contain some data. When I do SCC4, I see: 000 - SAP AG - Walldorf - DEM, 066 - early Watch - Walldorf - EUR, 810 - IDES-ALE: Sales System - Barcelona-Spanien, 811 - IDES-ALE:Production - Porto-Portugal - DEM, 812 - IDES_ALE:Warehouse - Dallas,USA - DEM.

I think I should not delete clients 000 and 066, but I can delete any of the other one or two clients and create some space for the new client, right? Even the new client is also not going to contain much data; it is going to be used for testing purposes. Can I copy the new client onto the existing space without deleting any of the existing clients? How much space is going to be taken up by a typical new client? Or if I have to delete some existing clients, how do I do that? And how do I copy a new client? Can somebody please explain step-by-step? I am not a BASIS person, but temporarily I have to do this job.

Thanks,

Sofia.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sofia,

000 and 001 have a number of system management requirements that keep your system working and communicating both locally and through your SAP landscape. You should not touch 001 or 000. 066 is necessary for remote management sessions and additionally should not be touched. These clients have minimal data in them and you wouldn't really get much out of deleting them anyhow.

I would suggest that if you are this hard-pressed for disk, make sure that you have run all of your maintenance jobs to reduce system data (old job-logs, spool, change pointers, workflow traces.....OSS Note: 706478 has a full list of what grows that you can administratively delete) and do a re-org of your largest tables. After you are sure that this is done and you setup all your jobs in all clients to keep data reduced, reorg your largest tables and see what you get back.

Seems like a lot of risk and effort for such a small amount of space. You can usually squeek a lot out of a system if standard jobs are not running and a re-org has not been done recently (unless you are on SQL Sever then you can forget about the re-org - won't gain anything). Check SM36 for the standard jobs button to see what is running. Most of these are client dependent (you have to run them in all of your clients). I would guess if they are not running and you do things like dead-line monitoring for work-flow, there is a lot for them to clean-up.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for you reply. I am not a full-time BASIS consultant. But I have to copy a client after deteting a client or two. None of the clients contain any valuable data; so I can delete any client. But to free up the tablespace and reorganize it, what commands I have to use? I need detailed steps.

Thanks,

Sofia.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sofia,

Reorganization steps depend on the database you are using. There is lot of documentation on this. That being said and with out sounding rude, if you are not doing these tasks on a regular basis I would suggest you get some extra diskspace added to the system and create the client.

thanks

BMG

andrew_cottee
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can use 'brtools' to reorganize tables in an Oracle database. The procedure is documented on the SAP Help Portal: http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/EN/1b/4e8f0d38a8f4419436d608a36b6581/frameset.htm

Regards,

Andrew

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sofia,

Take a look at this link:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/EN/69/c24c4e4ba111d189750000e8322d00/frameset.htm

Let me know if you still have questions.

thanks

BMG

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Murali,

Many many thanks! In the help document link you gave, it was mentioned that approximately 500 MB is needed for a client without application data. I think I can try the Test Run for copying the new client. I believe I need not delete any existing clients because I have 12.9 GB left. Thank you very much once again. In case I need help, I will get back to you.

Regards,

Sofia.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Which clients I can safely detele to create space for the new client? Out of these 5 clients, I think I should not touch 000 client and 066 - Early Watch. Am I right? Can I can delete any one/two clients among the rest? Please clarify.

Regards,

Sofia.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sofia,

Client 000, 001 and 066 are available after sap installation. Other clients are created for company use so I cant tell you which clients you could or could not delete, you should ask somebody responsible in you company which clients you can delete. But to make some extra free space you will have to reorganize tablespace (depends on database).

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I was told to keep the essentially important clients in tact and delete the other clients to make way for the new client. So, I understand that I should not delete 000, 066 (I don't have 066 here). I can delete any of the remaining clients. From what you said, SAP cannot simply use the space created due to deletion of a client unless you get back the space at the database level. Am I right? Can you please explain me how to reorganize the space at the database level? I have Oracle database here.

Regards,

Sofia.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sofia,

Stay away from 000, 001 and 066 clients and rest of the clients are created by the customer / user. If you don't need anything (users or configuration etc) from these additional clients, you could delete them. Once the client is deleted (unlike a file system where you delete a file and the space that was occupied by the file is added back to total free space available), not all the space is added back to the database free space but is framgmented. You have to re-organize the tablespaces or whole database to reclaim all the space.

Search in the forum for tablespace reorgs or you can get more information from help.sap.com

thanks

BMG